vented loop hose barbs

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I am renewing the raw water hose from thru hull to exhaust riser on my 1999 Mark II. When I tried to remove the old hoses from the Forespar vented loop under the head sink, the 5/8" hose barbs came away with the hoses. It looks like the barbs were glued into the body of the vented loop, possibly with two part epoxy. Has anyone ever encountered this problem and tried to refasten the barbs into the body of the loop? I am looking for suggestions about adhesive options that work with Marelon. The hose barbs fit snuggly into the body of the loop but they definitely need to be secured with some form of adhesive.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Stu Jackson

Nope.  Might be easier to simply replace the vented loop.  For some bizarre reason (when I did just this many years ago) I found that the VL they installed at the factory was 3/4" and wondered why I couldn't get the 5/8" hose on it!  :shock:  So I bought a new one.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

John : What Stu didn't tell you "per-say" is that someone tried to glue the old one together instead of buying a new one. 

Most plastics/composites don't glue worth a crap!!  Don't be a "Cheap Charlie" - as you do own a YACHT!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

John, Ron's approach is NOT what I am advocating.  While I agree that trying to glue Marelon material is questionable, and should only be discussed with Forespar, it most likely won't work.

Regardless of whether you own a Catalina 22 or a C470, it shouldn't be a requirement to spend any, repeat ANY, $ needlessly.

I suggested my approach because of the experience I had, as well as the fact that by the time you get the duck bill replaced and try to glue the parts together, sometimes a new one is a more secure and trusty solution than trying to repair an old one.

Just ask my old heat exchanger!   :clap

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

John Langford

Bought a new vented loop and all is well. However, if replacing all of your raw water hoses, make sure to allow 4X the amount of time you think it will take. Sweating some of the hoses onto appropriate nipples is no fun!
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S