Stuffing box tools

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan

Hi everyone:

could somebody recommend a good set of tools to work on the stuffing box' packing and lock nuts? I always strugle using my regular pipe wrenches...

Thanks,

Juan

Stu Jackson

I have one solid and one adjustable packing nut wrench.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Juan : Most hardware stores (Lowe's/Home depot also) have a narrow adjustable plumbing wrench that you can adjust for the locking nut and the gland.  Should be under $10.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

One of my favorite sources for maintenance knowledge concerning tools and techniques... (with lots of great pictures) is Mainsail and his Compass marine How To's.   :thumb: :abd:

Suggested wrenches and techniques beautifully illustrated:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

prh77

I use something called a " Ford" wrench. Works great.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

ghebbns

On my previous Catalina 30, I had a dripless packing system so this is the first boat that I have had to worry about the stuffing box.  I had it professionally adjusted when the boat was launched last year.  Typically does it have to be adjusted every year?  Or should I just double check that the proper number of drips/min are happening?

Thanks
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ron Hill

ghe : Not too sure what your Catalina owners manual says, but I wouldn't want more than 3-4 drips/minute.  You tighten as necessary - probably every 10-15 hours?

Tighten and then run the engine in gear.  The packing gland can be warm, but not hot.  If you can't leave your hand on the gland nut, it's tooo hot/tight!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: ghebbns on May 28, 2014, 05:25:45 AM
On my previous Catalina 30, I had a dripless packing system so this is the first boat that I have had to worry about the stuffing box.  I had it professionally adjusted when the boat was launched last year.  Typically does it have to be adjusted every year?  Or should I just double check that the proper number of drips/min are happening?

It should be part of regular maintenance.  The "How To" are out there, in Maine Sail's website, in your manual also available right here on this webiste, and in the C34 Tech wiki, which has its own heading "STUFFING BOX."

Our boats have The best if not among the very best access to stuffing boxes on any boats I am familiar with.  No excuse not to check it regularly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Juan

Thanks Stu. What is the size of your solid wrench?

Juan

Stu Jackson

The size of my fixed wrench is to fit the locking nut, I use the adjustable wrench for the box nut.   I don't know the size of it.  When I bought my boat in 1998, pre-internet days, I just went to the boat and measured the size of the nut.  Turns out that locking nut, at least on my boat, has two different dimensions across some of the six flats!  Go figure.  If you want to be perfectly sure, either measure what you have or buy two adjustable ones then you can't go wrong.  :clap

Indian Falls

I use an adjustable wrench that was intended for plumbing fittings (as far as I know), nick named a "monkey" wrench.
Attached is a picture of what it looks like.  This wrench is likely79 years old and belonged to my Grandfather.  I like to keep several of his tools aboard because that guy could do anything.  It works great for touching up the stuffing box.

Additionally, my opinion and experience with the old school stuffing box is this:

I keep it wet, not dripping.  As long as my hand gets wet when I grab it, it's good. As long as it's cold when motoring, it's good.  I have only changed the flax one time in 5 seasons 4 seasons ago.  If you put it in correctly and never over tighten you have no problems.  Dripping is bad, it's a leak.
I also changed my shaft log hose which I made 1 inch longer to put the stuffing on a fresh part of the shaft. Did I need to?  I don't know, seemed like a good idea when doing the hose, cutlass bearing and prop work. I also keep a very large sponge under the stuffing box to aid in evaporation of any drips and or collection of water in the sump behind the engine.  "Works fine, lasts a long time"
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?