Inverter recommendation?

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Does anyone have any feedback on this 1000 watt inverter?
KISAE SWX1210 Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Transfer Switch. I would like to occasionally fire-up my microwave (600 watts) under sail. :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

TonyP

What ever you want to use , you need at least double the said wattage.
I would use a 1200 inverter minimum for your 600 watt microwave.
When an appliance starts, it needs a peak load(double), then backs off to the said load.

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

David Comando

Due to an electrical surge near my marina from  an electrical storm,  I too am in the market for a replacement for my Heart Interface Freedom 10. It is 1000 watts, a modified sine wave. I have looked at the Magnum MMS 1212, at 1200 watts and pure sine wave. I got off lucky, nearby boats lost radar, autohelm, multifunctional displays. While I'm at, it I'm installing a battery monitor, probably the Balmar Smart.
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Mick Laver

David
I installed a Magnum MMG 1012 and I've been quite happy with it.  Like the 1212 it's pure sine wave, but the output is 1000w and charges at 50A. It powers my 700w microwave just fine. The 1012 matches up better with the ever-popular Honda 2000i generator since the Honda can't supply enough current to drive the 1212 efficiently. In my experience the Honda will drive the 1012 at full capacity without going into high (loud) mode, a bonus in crowded anchorages.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Stu Jackson

Mick, that sounds like a combined inverter charger.  It sounds like Noah is looking for a separate inverter.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mick Laver

Ah yes. And my reasons for choosing the MMS 1012 over the 1212 aren't really relevant. As Emily Litella would say, "never mind."
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Noah

Guys, I took the plunge and ordered the 2,000 watt KISAE pure sine wave with transfer switch and remote monitor/gauge. Giving myself a bit more output w/2,000 watt (over 1,000) for contingency loads. WM retail at $589.00. I'll let you know how it works out.
Standard Rig

David Comando

Mike,
Thanks for the recommendation of the Magnum Inverter/Charger as that is what I'm looking for. As far as the generator for longer stays on the anchor, I'm installing a Balmar Smart Gauge as well. I hope to stay as long as I can at anchor on my house bank, then switch to my starter if necessary to start the engine. There maybe a generator in my future...
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

scotty

Noah,  By coincidence I just ordered the same unit today.  I have a  Charles battery charger that works fine, and just need an inverter.  I thought about going to an inverter/charger, but this seemed a less expensive option.  You'll notice that the 2000 Watt inverter has a 4000 W surge capacity.  Like you, I'm hoping that this unit will stand the test of time.  Let me (us) know how it works out for you.  I'll do the same.

I'm aslo adding a seperate starting (or emergency) battery - my boat currently has two house (4-D, 180 amp acid batteries).  I'm adding an ACR unit to handle the charging.  Thanks for the electricity 101 assistance, I'm using that as a template for my system, although I'm having the work done by Johnson-Hicks Electronics here in Santa Cruz.
Scotty

mainesail

Gents,

There are big difference between the inexpensive hi freq inverters such as the Kisae or the Xantrex ProWatt etc. and the Magnum, Outback, Victron etc.. The inexpensive ones use a HF switching power supply as opposed to a large transformer based unit which does low frequency switching. Large transformer based units are generally more robust and reliable than "high frequency" inverters though HF technology is getting more reliable.. Large transformer based inverters can handle more surge and usually for longer. If you have high surge loads of frequent surge loads that will exceed the inverters capability then a large transformer unit would be a better choice.

For inverter/chargers I generally install Magnum, Victron and some Outback. Great companies, great support and great products.

This is a MASSIVE Victron 5kW inverter charger. Each of those toroidal transformers is the size of a dinner plate and weighs about 30 pounds each. This unit got DROPPED. The case was mashed but the unit survived a 5' fall undamaged other than the case..  I had to tear the whole case down and replace / rebuild the unit on-site, about 1000 teeny tiny screws and six hours later and she had a new case.

HF units generally suffice for light duty occasional use but if charging & feeding it through a generator or you have large surge loads then a large transformer based unit will generally last longer. Cheaper products generally take out very useful features such as charging profiles suitable to a broad range of battery types, temperature compensation, voltage sensing etc. etc....

For permanent dockside float charging I actually prefer switch-mode based small chargers as their low current capabilities are generally better than large transformer based chargers which have trouble being controlled at mA level charge currents. Better brands Victron, Magnum, Outback etc. do this fine but cheap ones don't perform as well.

Even cheap transformer based chargers will last longer, in the long run, but will eat batteries faster.. Everything is a trade off... The Magnum's, Victron's and Outbacks actually do quite well and have a clean charger output compared to many large transformer based inverter chargers...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Noah

Thanks for the info. I hope for my light duty occasional use, the Kisae works out. I'll keep you posted.
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on June 13, 2014, 12:38:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I hope for my light duty occasional use, the Kisae works out. I'll keep you posted.

Noah, any feedback (pi  :D)?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Embarrassed to say, unfortunately I haven't used it enough to thoroughly test it. It does have a strange wiring quirk that presented itself after install, that still requires a proper workaround. If the power to it is disconnected the alarm sounds. This really upset my brother, Jeremy, (electrical engineer) who had some "unsatisfactory" discussion with their factory design team in Canada about it. We have temporarily changed the way it is hooked-up to avoid the alarm if main battery switch is turned off. It works, but it is still "not correct" according to MY engineer. LOL!
Standard Rig

scotty

Interesting, Noah.  My unit does not have that alarm.  I don't know if that is a result of how it is hooked up. 

So far my unit is working well, although I only use it for light loads (heating up food inthe microwave) mostly.
Scotty