Blank metal tab / sign in cockpit.

Previous topic - Next topic

steven shahbaghlian

Hi All,

Long time listener first time caller. Looking for the answer to what the metal tab / blank sign below
teak step on transom of my '87 might be. No image but probably was a small sign at one time. I find
this forum to be endlessly helpful. Thanks in advance.

Dave Spencer

That would be your nameplate.  On my 1994 C34, the "C34 and "1279" are stamped into the nameplate.  The rest of the nameplate says "Catalina, Morgan, Capri" and a few other marks.  I don't have a picture.  Perhaps on earlier versions of the Catalina 34, the hull number was printed instead of stamped on.  The hull number is also engraved on the hull.  Mine is marked on the aft stbd topsides right below the rubrail.

Check your nameplate carefully, you might see "488" stamped into your mystery plate.

Welcome to the forum! 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Les Luzar

I had a cover over my teak step, and I didn't even notice the "blank plate" there.... Here is a pic I found and mine looks blank too! I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the boat to see if there is any information on it or if it is gone too!
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Stu Jackson

That hull # plate wears out over time.  The HIN is engraved on the transom.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mark_53

On my 1989, the Hull Identification Number (HIN) is engraved under that nameplate.  When I purchased the boat, I wanted to verify the number on the title was the same as on the boat.  Took lots of searching before we found it there.

Ralph Masters

Just make sure it doesn't say "Made in China"
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Only if it's not a TRUE Catalina.  They made 'em in California.   :D  You know what they say about those copy-cats.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."