Major incident: Strut, Prop & Shaft Electrolysis

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

:shock: regardless of what ultimately caused your sad situation:
I disagree with Indian Fall's statement that the strut is protected from corrosion by the rubber cutlass bearing. It is bronze in salt water and stray current can and will eat away at it. You should "protect" it with its own dome zinc(s), bolted directly to the strut, in addition to having a shaft collar zinc.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Lance Jones

It was an electrical issue. There was a battery cable that had grounded on the shaft. Came loose during the move. Will cost $90 per hour plus parts. Any leads on a good, used strut? Catalina Direct wants $670 ish for a new one. Will call Catalina parts in the morning.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Kyle, I edited your last post to make the link work.  IIRC, the only way for non-C36IA Members (with a capital M) to read that link is to be full Members or Associate Members of the C36IA, much like our Tech Notes Online.  Just an FYI to Lance if he tries and any parts or links don't work, some may work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tonywright

Back to your first question re how much: the cost are probably adding up, but a suggestion:  I would replace the shaft (and its coupling) while doing all this. With the damage you reported, I wouldn't want to assume that the current shaft is fine: probably corroded, scored and maybe off true as well. Just order a new one from Catalina at the same time as the strut, cutless bearing and propellor (assume that you are replacijng the corroded propellor?). You will be paying for the haulout and related labor cost anyway. Cheaper to do it now than later. Just a thought...

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Indian Falls

It's a very interesting predicament.  I'm sure the rest of the forum would love more information on what happened.
Was that a Positive cable that grounded on the shaft?  If so why did you not have a fire or blown fuse?
If it was a negative cable then could your shore power charger have been able to leak current to or from the water causing the electrolysis to eat the strut, shaft, prop, prop-nut?  The edges of the prop would look really bad before it got through the cutlass and the strut bearing housing right? I know you're  busy with this disaster, but a pic or two of the damage may answer more questions than they would pose.

I wonder if the link for the used M25XPB engine(recently here on this forum) that was pulled from a C34 could lead to the used strut from that unfortunate boat the engine came from?

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Lance Jones

It was a +cable lead that came loose between pull and splash. It was from the dedicated starter battery and the terminal end was laying on the shaft right in front of the stuffing box. No idea why no fuse was blown. When the boat is out for repair, I will definitely share the images. The prop and strut are really eaten away. The shaft is not great; but, should easily last until bottom job next summer.

In the meantime, I have the strut arriving soon. Still looking for a used propeller. Catalina Yachts wants $743 for a 3 bladed prop and $600 for a 2 blade
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

I was talking with Catalina Yachts about a prop shaft and they needed the length. Are they all different?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Lance Jones on May 24, 2014, 12:29:37 PM
I was talking with Catalina Yachts about a prop shaft and they needed the length. Are they all different?

Lance, from a simple search on :shaft length:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1776.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Ok, in talking to Catalina Direct about a replacement shaft, he was very helpful. However, when asked about the 57" he wanted to know whether that was end to end or from the base of the shaft at the engine to the base of the prop. Picture included below.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance, I hope someone here knows and will share it with you.  If not, have you considered calling Catalina Yachts?

Lance Jones

Stu,
They were the first I called. However, she had no clue. She fobbed me off to Marine Parts who offered to make one for $650. I checked with Catalina Direct and they will make it and the coupling for less that $400. I just need to know the above measurement.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance, then call Gerry Douglas.  If "she fobbed you off" then try, try again.

Lance Jones

OK Stu, I took your advice and called Jerry. He said the length from end to end was 51 1/4". That sort of conflicts what others have said of theirs at 57".... I guess when I pull it, I can measure and hope they have a fast turn-around.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Joe Holmes

Hi Lance,

I have a 15x9 2 blade that you can have if you are interested.  It has some paint and a few dings (hammer rash?) on the hub but functioned fine for me til I switched it out for a 3 blade.  You can have it for the cost of shipping if you want.

Joe Holmes
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada