Speed Tranducer O-Ring Sizes

Previous topic - Next topic

George Bean

Does anyone know the size of the O-rings on the Raymarine ST60 speed transducer "bung"?  My O-rings somehow came off and I have nothing to measure.  I am also thinking about replacing the larger diameter ring that is higher up on both the bung and transducer. From my internet search, I only found a paddlewheel rebuild kit from Binnacle.com ($36.95)

On a related note:  On the MkII boats, is there supposed to be a weep hole from under the v-berth to the bilge?  Normally this is not a problem as it is easy to sponge up water leftover from swapping the transducer.  But now, with my O-ring problem, the water is in danger of flowing over the cabin sole on its way to the bilge.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Jack Hutteball

My 2001 does have limber hole that allows water from under the forward berth to drain to the bilge.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jim Hardesty

My 2001 MKll also has limber holes.  When I first got Shamrock many of the limber holes were pluged with wood chips, small bitts of fiberglass, ect.  Took a couple of cleanings for them to stay clear.  Don't know the O-ring size.  If it wasn't lost, there should have been a plug for the knot meter.  It will have an O-ring and and the threaded locking ring.  Plan #2 (if you have or can borrow a set of calipers) measure the hole inside diameter and the outside diameter of the O-ring groove.  A good hardware store, chandlery, or industrial supply will be able to size it for you.  I'd be surprised if it was more than 1$.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Jim's right, very good advice.  You can most likely source the O rings at ACE Hardware, really.  Our local one has a great assortment.  No need to go online.  Get a "feel" for it's size with the calipers and maybe a few photographs, next to keys or spare change and ruler, and you could buy the right one by a few that "seems" smaller or larger.  The right one will be in the middle.  Return the ones you don't use, they'll take 'em back. Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

George Bean

Thanks for the pointers.  This weekend I will go to Pagano's on Lincoln and visit their "hall of fasteners".  (If you don't hear from me by Tuesday, send out a search party :D).  On the MkII boats, What is the diameter of the limber hole between the v-berth and first bilge compartment?  Stu, will you be at your boat this weekend?  I'd like to pick your brain on a couple of items.  Perhaps we can meet at EYC Saturday afternoon and I can buy you a beer?  The Master Mariners will be in so there will be lots of wooden boats at the docks.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Stu Jackson

Paganos is the place to go, back in the plumbing dept.

I sent you an email (lmco still valid?).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."