Wax versus 303 protectant on hull

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

Hi,
Since i purchased my 1988 C34 5 years ago, I have waxed it each spring with 3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax, a big job by hand.  That is the wax that  the previous owner used.  The boat still looks good.    My brother-in-Law says that the people is his sailboat yacht club just use 303 protectant  on their boats.   I have used the 303 before and once put some on the deck of an older small sailboat, big mistake.      Any thoughts on the merit of one versus the other.  I have one shoulder (left) that I  am not currently supposed to use.  I usually switch back and forth between arms as they get tired.   Obviously the paste wax is a lot of work.   I could always wait until the shoulder is better.   If there wasn't always many others boat things to spend money on I could pay someone to wax it but that will not happen soon.

Thanks.
Bob :?

lazybone

The fellow who has his boat near ours on the hard always shows up with two "mexican types" to do his bottom and wax. 
Says they are easy to find and very reasonably priced.

I use Collinite and I make my kids do it.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Footloose

FWIW-I use NuFinish.  Easy on and minimal buffing.  Everyone has their preference and this is likely to produce as many opinions as the "best anchor set up".
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Les Luzar

Bob,
There are two jobs that I refuse to do myself, waxing my hull, and painting my house. Those two jobs are best done by a professional. They get the job done in a fraction of the time, and then I can move on to do something else. There is a reason that the guys who wax boats, are usually young! I have a guy who does my topsides only (not the deck) for $225, and it is worth every penny to me. Then I take my time and do the deck, cockpit etc., myself over time. Now some boat waxers charge a lot more than my guy, he will do my whole boat for $350. But other boat waxers charge $550 for our boats. That is here in Southern California. Regarding your question about using 303 instead of wax, I don't know of anyone who uses it instead of wax. I would stick with wax myself. I generally use a high grade carnuba wax from the auto parts store for the deck, along with a spray bottle of Turtle Wax for regular touch up. I learned that trick for the local boat washers. A quick spray on and wipe off keeps everything pretty shinny (as well as some color restorer to get any grime off!). It's endless.... so don't forget to "Go Sailing"

Les
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ralph Masters

I have used Nufinish for the past 4 years with good results.
Lazy, let's see, have kids so they can grow up and wax the boat, or do it my self??  I'll keep doing it myself, thanks..........
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

Lazy,
I have grown kids, and I can't even get them to come sailing, let alone wax the boat! Hmmm, based on what my kids cost, having my boat waxed professionally is a bargain compared to the cost of kids..... :D :shock: :clap
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

SPembleton

I am new to boat ownership. I just bought my Cat34. I also have a classic car. I have always used Meguiar's products on my car. First a cleaner (fine cut, medium cut or heavy cut depending on the condition of the finish), then polish and then carnauba wax. Each one is a wipe on, and wipe off. Thin coats are best. I did the same on my hull. Took less than 8 hours total. Is there any problem with this approach?
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Noah

That'll work. If you have time and strength, go for it!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ed Shankle

Only thing is, I would think annually using a compound to clean, will over time wear down the gelcoat? That said, I have every few years used a compound on the hull and use color restorer on the strips. but annually, I use Meguires 50 cleaner/wax as my cleaner. It doesn't have abrasives and does a nice job. Comes off easy once dried. Then I follow with Meguires Flagship, which isn't carnuba, but lasts as long. Polishing it off isn't as hard as carnuba, it comes off in tiny "pellets".

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Clay Greene

I used Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner, which is a very light-duty compound, followed by 3M Finesse-It Polish and the Collinite Fleet Wax.  A lot of work but it produces that beautiful "wet look" and it lasts the season. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

lazybone

Quote from: claygr on May 20, 2014, 01:13:18 PM
I used Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner, which is a very light-duty compound, followed by 3M Finesse-It Polish and the Collinite Fleet Wax.  A lot of work but it produces that beautiful "wet look" and it lasts the season. 

I have to agree on the collinite, every year when we (my kids) rewax we find that a large portion of the collinite is still there from the year before.   
But I tried using the Collinite on prized automobile and found the finish a bit cloudy and not up to the standards of less long lived automotive waxes.
On a boat I value extra longevity over deeper shine.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

MarkT

Another vote for Collinite.
I use the pre-wax cleaner (great stuff) and then the liquid wax. Goes on easy, wipe off before fully dry.  Job done.
Use lots of clean cotton rags.

This will keep a shine on the top-sides for a year.

Mark Tamblyn

chuck53

I'm also a long time user of Collinite, but I only use the paste wax.  I agree the liquid is easier to use, but every wax review I've ever seen, puts the paste right up at the top of the list, but the liquid as just an average wax.

Joe Holmes

I use Collinite paste wax also.  There is an excellent article on Mainsail's website that describes his routine for bringing a dull hull back to life. I followed it 2 years ago and it turned out great.  Now just wax annually.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

MarkT

My feeling is that the paste wax is the best product BUT I don't have the time or the money to employ someone with the time to do the job that way. Using liquid wax gets the job done which is most important. Waxing the boat is like wearing a sun hat. My brother says " your sun hat in not a fashion accessory" the same with wax even if the shine isn't perfect getting wax on there is the most important factor. If I ever get to live less than a two hour drive from the boat maybe then I'll change my perspective and work on the perfect shine and varnished teak. 

Mark