Broken Alternator bracket M35B

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi all,
Wanted to see if anyone has found this to happen on their M35B engine.  Attached is a picture of the alternator bracket. When I was checking things over to prepare for spring launch, I noticed the alternator to wobble and upon further inspection, found the bracket to be cracked.  Called Joe at Westerbeke and he said he may have seen this once or twice since the introduction of the M35B in the late 90's.  I have a 100 amp alternator, so he feels that might be the reason for the break.  However, I know many have upgraded alternators, so that reason may not be all that true.  Based on the dust I see in the areas that are broken, I was probably running the engine with this cracked bracket, since the broken areas are not shiney from a recent brake.

any thoughts?

Thanks,
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Sorry to hear that, Roc, but glad you do what too few do:  frequent engine checks.  Good catch.

This is the very first I've heard of this, including this forum, the C36 forums and many others.  It almost looks like a casting, like the old M25 OEM brakcets, one of my afvorite subjects.

Is Joe getting you a complimentaty replacement?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Hi Stu,
Unfortunately, Joe is not sending a replacement. He asked if I had the stock alternator and I told him I had a 100amp.  Maybe that's why.  Yes, it looks like a casting which is why it's so weak.  I have a new one coming to me.  We'll see how long that will last. If it ends up breaking, what I may do is have it welded instead.  Or, I can look at getting something machined.  Hopefully, the new part will last a while since there are plenty of M35B's with upgraded alternators, and this part breaking isn't common.

Stu Jackson

Roc, drats!  Oh well, it was a good try...

This sounds like something you should add to the Critical Upgrades topic with a link back to this post (hint, hint... :D).

What did it cost you?

[added 4/24/14]  Added to Critical Upgrades "Careful Engine Check" thread
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Stu,
Not sure if this is a critical upgrade, since this is a rare situation.  I would think it's a watch for those that upgrade their alternator.  Joe said there is no "better" bracket available.  So the new one would technically be the same, no "upgraded bracket" available.  Maybe the original bracket on mine just wasn't up to spec, so it failed after 5 or 6 years with the new alternator.  Paid $100 with shipping. 

lazybone

Chinese Backyard smelter, cast oatmeal.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Roc : Too bad you bought one so fast as I've got a new one in a box under my desk!! 

I believe that I also know why it failed - if you are interested. 
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Ron,
But you don't have an M35B engine on your "used to have" boat?  Is this bracket the same on both engines?  I could cancel the order. Won't see it for about 2 weeks.

Ron Hill

Roc : If you'd look at the front of your Universal Engine Parts list 1st edition December 2001 here's what you'll find:

The parts listing is for 3 engines - M25XPB, M35B and M40B .  Looking inside on pages 57 & 58 - It so happens that the alternator bracket #200436 fits all three engines!!

I have one of those brackets in the original packaging under my desk that I will not be using!!
Ron, Apache #788

cmainprize

Are you kidding me, is there ever an issue that Ron does not have an immediate solution for.  Wow!
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Roc

That's why Ron is Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy!!  Don't mess with him!

:clap