Storing perishables in warm climate

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Ok all,
Now that our move to the Gulf is complete, we've noticed that fresh items go bad quicker - duh. What are some of the things you do to keep things like bread and vegetables fresh longer?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Zip lock freezer bags and tupperware type containers worked best for me. You have to be religious about keeping containers and bags closed up as tight as possible.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Rubbermaid or similar containers.  Rice in your salt containers.  Ziploc bags.  Jars if you can stand glass on board.  Some research on long distance voyagers' websaites.  Google Beth Leonard for example.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Interestingly, we always treated eggs as a perishable item keeping them refrigerated.   In the tropics, we never put them in the fridge and never had a bad egg.  just stored them in a plastic egg box.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Lance Jones

:thumb: Thanks all. Great responses as usual. My wife's big question is about storing potatoes.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Lance Jones on April 05, 2014, 08:44:45 AM
:thumb: Thanks all. Great responses as usual. My wife's big question is about storing potatoes.

Get a mini-hammock.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Lance Jones

Stu, that is soooo funny! My wife HATES storage hammocks. So, now I can put one up... :clap
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Lance Jones on April 06, 2014, 05:59:47 PM
Stu, that is soooo funny! My wife HATES storage hammocks. So, now I can put one up... :clap

NOOOOOOOOO Way................................. :abd:

If she doesn't like it, do NOT do it.

Also, please don't tell her it was my idea.... :D :D :D :D :D

Phil Spicer

Lance, I have said this 10,000 times, " having a wife brings everything down to 2 choices, Give her what she wants, or wish you had." And I too do not have a storage hammock...
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ken Juul

We tossed the bread on this trip.  Flour tortillas or the thin sandwich bagels work so much better.  Potatoes, onions, we have some that are almost 2 months old in the 3 tiered baskets that hangs from the mast turnbuckle.  Apples, oranges, limes, etc have had a multi week life in the baskets too without refrigeration.

It's trial and error.....and the item itself.  We had 2 onions, used half of one.  3 days latter the half was rotten, the whole was fine.  I think the key is to shop often for just what you need. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Thanks Ken, great advice. We have opted for the tiered baskets in lieu of the hammock - Stu and Phil - no worries then  :D

When we use to cruise in our C-22 years ago, we learned that nature usually build a great preservative in the fruit or vegetables skin. Once cut, it goes quickly.

Outstanding, as usual, advice from all. :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622