Dorade Box

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

What do you call the operable vent in the dorade box?  One of mine has seized closed and I need to purchase another but can't remember what it's called to google it.

patrice

HI

Have you tried just to sray it with some JiG A LOO or similar ?
And let it do some magic ...

Here are the ones from defender.

the cover section
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290139|2290147&id=1646977

or the valve with it.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290139|2290147&id=1646992
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

I was able to free one up with some soaking in cleaner.  The internals on the other just broke apart.  

Ha, was able to find the vent part only.  They are called mushroom ventilators. 

Phil Spicer

I would try "P B Blaster" first. Spray and let it sit for an hour and try to open. If it doesn't work, spray it again and let it sit. Give it a day or two if it still is stuck. Really good stuff, give it time to work.
I just Googled "cowl vent" and that worked well. Vetus calls the vent a "mushroom ventilator."  Marine Outfitters has a ss vent by
Victor. Hope this gets you started.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

mregan, if you still have the original ones, the first thing to do is to take the top (white) section off the deck. Four, five or six screws - easy. This will expose the metal closer section underneath.  I know this because I replaced my top sections years ago.  Then all you need to do is lubricate the shaft and have someone below hold on and turn the top.  Disassemble as necessary and it should work just fine.  If you need new cowls, there are many posts here, in the wiki and in Mainsheet magazine (easy to find with the Knowledgebase in the tech notes section of this website) to avoid reinventing the wheel.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

Stu
I took the whole assembly home this winter and disassembled.  The nut on the shaft that raises and lowers the cap broke apart as I was trying to loosen it.  It seems to have corroded.  The other one freed up after a few hits with WD-40.

Ron Hill

MRE : Way back in the early 1990's I screwed a 4" Beckson port (on top of) the my 4" Vetus dorade vents from the inside.

That allowed me to screw the internal Vetus parts all the way to the open position.  Then when I wanted them closed all I had to do was screw in the Beckson cap and didn't have to touch the Vetus internal screw mechanism.

Saved a lot of fooling around to open and close them. Also the holes in the Beckson port lined up with the Vetus holes perfectly!! 

Wrote that up in the Mainsheet tech notes!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Quote from: Phil Spicer on April 03, 2014, 07:55:54 AM
I would try "P B Blaster" first. Spray and let it sit for an hour and try to open. If it doesn't work, spray it again and let it sit. Give it a day or two if it still is stuck. Really good stuff, give it time to work.
I just Googled "cowl vent" and that worked well. Vetus calls the vent a "mushroom ventilator."  Marine Outfitters has a ss vent by
Victor. Hope this gets you started.

I swear by Kroil.

Ive been tempted to drink the stuff for my arthritis.

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

WD-40 is useless.  Liquid Wrench usually comes first, then folks "discover" PBB, then Kroil.  Natual progression.  Hope we save you a LOT of time.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Trivia...WD stands for water dispursing.....40 is the # of recipies they tried before they got it right.  It has it's uses....but is not a rust/corrosion breaker.  It's purpose is to prevent it from happening byb coating the surfaces to keep moisture away.  Each tool has it's place, just have to know what the tool is designed to do
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA