Oberdorfer Snap Ring

Previous topic - Next topic

prh77

I left the snap ring at the end of the shaft off when I installed the impeller this morning. Seems I recall posts to the effect it is not required. Now I am second guessing myself. Will this harm the pump or engine drive shaft?
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Kevin Henderson

I had the same concerns last time when I changed out my impeller.  After some searching here and getting some advice from others it was determined that I (you) probably need not worry.  :abd:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7493.msg51246.html#msg51246
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

prh : See my posts and I left the snap ring off for over 20 years!
Ron, Apache #788

Set2sea

For anybody that wants to use their retaining ring ring, I found a pair of tweezers aboard my boat where the PO apparently ground down the tips to pretty fine points. I first tried to put them in the retaining ring holes to not much success. Then I realized I could get under one side of the ring and lift it up enough to where I could get it the rest of the way with a small screw driver pry. I'm looking at it if the ring is easy to get off and reinstall, I might as well use it.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Stu Jackson

Paul, I do the same thing, the small screwdriver pry works just fine.  One could go out an buy snap ring pliers, but why bother.  I love dual use tools.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

I have an awesome set of snap ring pliers and I'm proud of it.  :D   :clap

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Aldo, I wish I was your dock neighbor, buddy.   :abd:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

I'm Spicoli's dad and a television repairman.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I prefer to use the most used tool in the world, a paperclip. It can be fashioned in any shape you want, comes in different sizes and can be used for many things. Of course it's always easier to use the proper tool when available but sometimes ya just gotta use what'cha got.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

KWKloeber

The snap ring is totally not necessary.  I went 'round with the Ob techie  10 years ago about this until he admitted there it is not necessary and  has no function as far as  when the pump is in service.

The only function is has is to keep the shaft from falling out when the pump is in stock, or is removed from the engine.

Ken Kloeber
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain