Oberdorfer rebuild

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

Okay I read Stu's write up on the Oberforfer rebuild. I pulled the pump off yesterday. I was very please to get her off without any snapped fasteners!!
My question: what is used between pump and engine for seal? There seemed to be some redish/orange sealant?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

prh77

There is a mounting gasket. I think I got mine from Depco Pump.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Set2sea

The parts diagrams I have seen only show gasket between pump body and cover plate but nothing for pump to engine.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Stu Jackson

There is a paper gasket between the pump body and the engine.  The PO may well have used some kind of non-paper gasket material.  You're right, the diagram at www.marinedieseldirect.com doesn't show it.  You can make one with medium gauge paper from a paper bag.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Paul : Stu is correct in using a brown paper bag. 
I wouldn't use anything thicker as you want the male tang on the shaft to fit firmly into the female slot in the engine.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Set2sea

Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Set2sea

In regard to removing internals:
I am planning on replacing the bushing (I can't see going thru all of this and not). That being said, and the fact that I have access to an arbor press, has anyone pressed out the whole kit and caboodle all together? One shot purge?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ron Hill

Paul : NO! NO! NO!  
Read my article in the Mainsheet tech notes and you'll find that the two lip seals are inside brass housings.  They need to be pressed in and I tell you how to get the old ones them out.  
Then there is a carbon bearing that centers the stainless shaft.  That can be split to remove it, but needs to be press in (gently) or it can/will fracture - you can use your arbor press.

I also made a special tool to help remove the old brass seals (without scaring the pumps inside wall)  The article has a picture of that tool!!

Read the article!!!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Paul, a link to Ron's article (it's a very good one, and important to all who consider doing this work) is included in this thread: 

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

pablosgirl

Hi Paul,

Ron's pump rebuild article is also in the tech wiki in the engine section.  I rebuilt my pump using it several years ago.  I also so made my own gasket for the pump to engine as Stu suggested.  Worked great.
Pablo
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Set2sea

I don't post questions without searching here first. I read Ron's article, I printed it out, read it several more times. Where there wasn't any mention in the article of removing bushing and I was going to remove it, I was wondering about pressing everything out together. That was before I realized the seals are larger diameter than bushing. You would have to press bushing into seals and bushing would probably crack. In any event, I took the easy way out and gave it to our machine repair guy in work ( I work for a company that designs and builds industrial valves) and he pulled out the seals and pressed out the bushings for me. I got the cover plate faced of as well. Let's see if I can press everything in myself. With guidance of Ron's article Of Course.
Thanks
Paul
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

David Sanner

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay