Leaking Lewmar Hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

crimmins

I have a bad leak problem in my Lewmar, Ocean series, trapezoidal, forward hatch (over the V-birth) on my 2003 Catalina 34. The water drips from the starboard hinge into the V-birth. The leak is not coming from the two screws that hold the hinge to the plexiglass. I rebedded the hatch frame but the leak continues. Did anyone experience this problem? If so how did you solve it? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

saltygirl

We seem to be experiencing the same problem with our 98 catalina 34.  Did you find a solution?
Celeste and Greg Ray

Breakin Away

FYI, we may be having a similar problem with V-berth and main salon hinges:

In our case, it may be coming from the screw. But I believe in sealing from the outside in, so I want to seal the rectangular plastic part on the outside. With storms coming there was not sufficient time to remove and rebed the hinges. That will have to wait until off-season when the boat is under full cover. In the meantime I have tried Cap'n Tolley's around all the plastic parts. Unfortunately I had to leave the boat before the next rainstorm hit, so I can't speak for its success. But it's raining hard there now, and security video shows no sign of water dripping from the hinge or accumulating on the floor under the hatch:

I'll reply back with final results when I have them. But in the meantime I'm posting current status so others can benefit.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

Mine leaked a little this spring.  Just tightened up the screws at the hinges and dogs and no more leak.  Wish all problems were as easy to fix.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Breakin Away

I had briefly thought of doing that, but I noticed a micro-crack in the acrylic next to one of the hinges and I was afraid that over-tightening might make the crack worse. I was hoping that capillary action would pull the Cap'n Tolleys into any cracks, and it looked like it did from the little sliver of white liquid I saw. My next step would be to slightly tighten the screws further.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

Cap'n Tolleys is good stuff.  I fixed some glass bottomed beer steins with it years ago, still good.  I didn't see any cracks in mine so I just tightened the screw.  Don't think it was more than a quarter turn.  Did the same with the rest of the hatches.  With some luck that will last another 15 years.
My leak was on the forward hatch.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA