Boat Smell

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Fuzzy,

I think I have the 40pt per day.  I don't use the tank anymore,  I find that attaching the short hose to the back of the unit and having it drain directly into the sink is much easier.  I can leave the boat for any length of time and the unit will continue to run.  If you use the tank, It will fill in a very short period of time and then shut the unit down until it is drained.  It does get very warm down below after the unit has run for a period of time.  I have left damp towels in the head and the next day they are completely dry.  It really is the way to go for a boat.  
best of luck,
Sundancer
Roger Elliott - 1990 C34 Sundancer
Seal Beach, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys : Another source of "smell" is the bilge!!  Especially if you are in salt water.

I've maintained a dry bilge since 1989.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Talking to an old sailing buddy about boat smells and he swears by used coffee grounds. He drys them out and puts them in a paper coffee filter, folds over and staples the top closed, then either just lays them in various places throughout the boat or hangs them from coat hangers in the closets(excuse me lockers). He says that the coffee smell is neglishable but it absorbs alot of odors.
Now I have not tried this and admit it sounds kind of wierd but what have we got to lose. If anyone wants to try it, I'd really like to know if it works.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

stevewitt1

Hello All:

All of these suggestions are Great!  Once odors are present, it's real difficult to get rid of all of them from every nook and cranny.  I invested it a good Ozone Generator.

http://www.odorfreemachines.com/apps/home-odor-removal.php is the actual one that I bought.  http://www.odorfreemachines.com/apps/boat-odor-removal.php links to this particular companies sales pitch for eliminating boat odors.

PREVENTION is still necessary, but these work great to eliminate existing odors.  In another month I will have friends borrowing mine to freshen up their boats.  I do mine regularly.  Even though O3 breaks down in a couple of hours, it is not to be used while you or animals are on the boat.  Initially it is a irritant for mucus tissue but too much can be bad.  What I like is that even in my transom hatch it eliminates odors and kills molds and mildew that forms from wet lines, fenders, etc.

Just my 2ยข worth

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    -- P.J. O'Rourke

KINGAIR350

Steve,
Although it works rather well i would not run it for more than a couple of hours without some fresh air introduction , we ran an Alpine Air in a Cessna 310 (45 days on low)and all interior had prematurealy aged crumbled under pressure J.A.T.

stevewitt1

KingAir350

Typical Cessna problem, have to stay with Piper or Beech, LOL, just kidding.  Just like the old saying "If  they built a 18,000 ft runway, Cessna would build a plane that needs 18,500 ft to takeoff on a standard day at gross."  I'm just a private inst. but did take my multi training in a 421 and have a few left seat in a C90. Only .7 in a Citation II but it was fun.  Overshot the center-line while intercepting for a Back course just like I usually did in FlightSim.  

I totally agree with you, I run for a few hours and then let the air exchange.  I had a couple of Alpine Air units too but wasn't happy with the life span of the O3 generators.  A good Ozone generator should be used enough to accomplish the odor removal only, too much of any good thing will usually have a downside to it.  Except chocolate!  Death by chocolate is an acceptable way to go!

Steve

Visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com & www.warbirdsix.com