Deck thickness

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

Does anybody happen to know how thick the deck is up at the bow (near the center bow cleat)? If I were near my little ship I would just measure the bolts thru said cleat but unfortunately I am not). Working on a bow roller modification (gasp!) and have a 'need to know ASAP'.

As always, thank you kindly!

Kirk
Kirk Garner

Stu Jackson

Kirk, the general answer re: the thickness is "it depends."  The approach for most in your situation, regardless of where new bolts were being installed, is to purchase a variety of lengths and use the ones that work.  In many cases, for visually "hidden" bolts, ones that are even too long work just fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kirk Garner

Actually I am trying to determine if there is enough clearance above the rub rails (2 inches) to run bolts vertically thru the sides of the hull underneath the deck. Or does the deck actually meet the hull at the rub rail?
Kirk Garner

Ron Hill

Kirk : Look at my article (Mainsheet tech notes) on installing a Windline Narrow bow roller and I believe that I give the bolt size.

I also wrote another article (Mainsheet tech notes) on adding Schaffer 8" side cleats and give the bolt sizes again.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kirk Garner

Okay thanks Ron I'll look that up!
Kirk Garner

Kirk Garner

For anybody with a 'need to know' the deck thickness at the bow center cleat is a nats eyebrow thicker than 1 inch. That's on a 1988 C34 and if I am successful with my new mouse trap (modified bow roller.... gasp!) I will post pictures. If not I'll be drifting somewhere off the coast between Washington and Japan.

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner