Cruising with a bicycle

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

It's handy to cruise with bicycles.  I haven't found a good way to store one on my MKII.  I'd like suggestions for bicycles or other onshore transport.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Phil Spicer

Jim, we have cruised for almost 20 years with 4 fold-up Dahons under the v-berth, but we have a MKI. I don't know what is under your v-berth in the MKII. Ours has nothing but the small box I made to protect the sounder & knot meter. You can get 2 or 3 in the port locker....after you clean it out...
Now that the boys have moved out, we may lash our 2 full size bikes to the mast down below.
The Dahons all have a bag so no worry about dirt,oil,etc. getting on anything. With the bike in a bag you could store it anywhere and move it when you dock. We don't lash them to the rail or lifelines.
I did see one family that mounted a bike carrier on the stern rail. I guess a fold-up in a bag could be lashed down on deck. I think our bags measure 12x18x30. Not that big.   
  Good luck
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

waterdog

We have occasionally brought three full size road bikes with us.   We pull the cushions on the port side, stand them up vertically, cover the chains and hold them in with the lee cloths.  At the dock, they go on deck.    But really only works for those weekends where cycling is the main focus.    Wouldn't want to do it for a multi-week cruise.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

dbpaul

We spent 40 days with our bikes strapped to the deck. At every port we used them and saw more things then usual. The bikes extended our touring range on land by 15 miles per day.

https://plus.google.com/photos/110174997077057591842/albums/5943292886438031329?banner=pwa&authkey=CIb30b-AlL2EFQ

paulj     

Dave DeAre

Have taken our full size bikes on many trips.Wheels tied against the SS handrails on deck, Handlebars aft. Lines tied from toe rail cleats to bike, then lines tied between bikes. Shock cords also between bikes. No problems tacking or in moderately rough weather. Works for me on a MK 11
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Albreen

Hi Phil - I'm intrigued with the Dahon folding bike and it fitting under the v-berth area. Did you consider at the time of purchase if it was important to get a geared version of the bike or the simpler "coaster" style? I like the simplicity of the non-geared version but wonder if the gears would make for easier climbs and other speeds.  Thanks.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Phil Spicer

All are 3 or 5 speeds. The islands have some hills and long inclines so a "coaster" was never a thought. They are old now but have had no real problems. Just basic bike tune-up before they go to the boat in the spring. 
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Craig Illman

On the west coast, my experience is that the word "island" is synonymous with the word "hill", with only a few exceptions.  :?

pablosgirl

Hi Jim,

We have used both full size schwin bikes initialy and they were straped to the mast down bellow for sailing then up on deck at the mast while at dock or anchor.  A couple of years ago my wife gave me two of the West Marine Port Runner brand folding bikes for Christmass.  They are easier to move from bellow to the dock folded.  We store them in the aft cabin while criusing with them and at home when no extended outings are planed.  They have been great.  We have taken them on week long cruses and they really open up your sight seeing range.  Last October we took a 8 day trip down the coast to Port Aransas and spent a day biking all over the island.  We have definatly enjoyed taking bikes along and the folding one are definatly the way to go.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Footloose

There are also folding tandem bicycles.  http://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/tandem  As the owner of a tandem (non-folding) I will say that no one gets left behind when riding.  The can be ridden solo, but it will let the rear of the bike bounce around.  They do take some team work.  Can make or break a marriage. 
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain