two cables fixed 10-12 ft below mast head - what are they for ?

Previous topic - Next topic

day dreamer

Hi,

Done searches here but can t find the answer -  why does my new boat (1990) have two steel cables fixed either side of the mast about 10 - 12 ft  below mast head. Each is about 5 -6 ft long and each has a pulley at the end - They just swing about in the breeze  and complicate mainsail raising --  are they for managing a headsail ?  can I just climb up and eliminate them ?

txs in advance ,

Ian

TonyP

Ian

I would say at a guess they would be for Lazy Jacks for the main.

Either reinstall them (Lazy Jacks) or remove what you have just dangling as the paint will get damaged on your mast.

cheers from downunda

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

frank

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Gary

Ian,

As Jim and Tony have said, Lazy Jacks.

Here is a diagram.

Gary

Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

A search on "lazy jacks" will bring up a lot.

Here's one:

Lazy Jack Trick

Many folks complain about full battens getting caught up when raising the mainsail. They then spend a lot of time moving BOTH sides of the lazy jacks to the mast.

We developed an easier way with our lazy jacks.

We have a small cleat on the forward starboard side of the boom. When we put the halyard on the headboard, we move ONLY the starboard side of the lazy jacks forward and snug them under the forward side of the horn of this cleat.

Then, when we raise the mainsail, instead of going exactly head to wind, we bear off a tad to starboard so the wind is coming from the port side of the bow.

We then raise the mainsail and it doesn't get hooked on the lazy jacks even though the port side jacks are still there.

Been working for 15 years.

Yes, we have to go forward again to unhook the starboard lazy jack for dousing the sail if I forget to do it right when the main is raised, but there's never any hurry.  The drill is:  after the main is raised, I unhook that starboard lazy jack, so they're both ready to go when we drop the sails at the end of the day.

So, for those of you with lazy jacks, consider doing only one side.

Your boat, your choice.

C:\Users\Stu\Stu\Boat\Lazy Jack Trick.doc
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Look in Projects and see how to make your own "Lazy jacks" for about $30 and not drill any holes in the mast!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

day dreamer

John Langford

BTW, Stu's trick of bearing off to starboard a bit when raising the main equipped with lazy jacks works equally well for Dutchman equipped mainsail. If the Dutchman control lines exit the top of the sail on the port side then slackening the topping lift and bearing off to starboard a bit when raising the main will force the black terminal box at the top of each control line to stay on the port side of the sail rather than flopping over onto the starboard side. Then you can haul in a bit on the topping lift and the Dutchman will be perfectly set up for lowering the sail later. Of course, if your control lines exit on the starboard side of the sail then you need to bear off to port when raising the sail.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S