kelp removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Volk

Does anybody have any secrets regarding removing kelp off the rudder while racing or just sailing.  I don't seem to have a problem of it catching and staying on the keel or prop but it sure hangs up on the rudder. Other than heading up and back winding the main,(which sure puts a damper on your direction and speed), does anybody have any suggestions?  It seem that the rudder sits underneath to far to get anything to clean it. It's not if, but when, no matter how careful you are in our area you'll get kelped.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Kevin Henderson

Hi Ron...

I feel your pain with the Kelp problems here in SoCal. 

I tried doing a little search and only came up with this: 

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=152724

It seems there are some "Kelp Hooks out there even made from carbon fiber that will reach far enough down to get to the rudder. 
Many folks just go in reverese and free the rudder.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Gary

Hi Ron,

This knife may help. I carry one for tangled lobster pot warp on the prop. I have an 8' foot extension and can reach the prop from the boarding ladder. It is very sharp and very effective. One pull and the cut is complete. It may help with your kelp problem.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/hook-knife-emergency-prop-tangle-cutter-14-handle-740349-/4,46663.html

Gary

Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Ron Volk

Kevin, thanks for you reply.

It doesn't look like anybody has any good fixes for a rudder mounted under the boat, but 'Jerryj2me' kept the blog interesting by looking forward to his next blog.  Racing downwind, I guess you have to make a decision if your speed loss with the kelp on the rudder outweighs heading up, back winding your main to go backwards and clearing the kelp. Maybe I will just hope everybody else has kelp on their rudders also.
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ron Volk

Gary, thanks for the reply.

It would probably have to be modified some especially running that sharp edge down the forward edge of the rudder, but it might work by running it down the side of the rudder and have it grab the kelp.  Also a good idea regarding cutting the pot lines as we deal with those also.
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Gary

If memory serves me, the sharp edges are on the interior of the knife hook.....I suspect the knife would travel down the rudder without harm. I am thinking that cutting 1/2 of the streaming kelp might allow for water friction to help pull the other half off the rudder....

More theory than actual experience with kelp. The blue handle comes off with a push button and a boat hook (mop handle) extension is used to extend length.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Jeff Tancock

There has been a few times that I have gone down the boarding ladder (1988 model) and cut one side of the kelp with a kitchen knife as far forward as I can reach. The kelp was then just pulled off by the resistance of the other side.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp