Propane Locker Mod

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

Just thought I would share how I modified my propane locker to allow a 4 pound propane bottle to fit in the locker after the OPD valve was required for new propane tanks.  After removing the locker from the aft cockpit locker, I used 1x2 pine boards (actually 1.75x.75) to make a 13x13 inch frame and glued to the top of the locker.  Drilled holes to secure the clamps to the 1x2, painted and reinstalled.

Kevin Henderson

Thanks for sharing your post Mark. :thumb:  I'm certain alot of folks here will benefit from your modification.

BTW... :nail :nail

You certainly are more bold than I in tempting the Gods of the deep with your boat name. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just Kidding   8)

What happened to Unsinkable I ? :donno: :party
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Mark : If you look in Projects you'll see how I modified my 4 lb propane tank box so it would accept a 10 lb. bottle.  Did that back in about 1990?

Also look in the old Mainsheet tech notes!!
Ron, Apache #788

TonyP

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on January 17, 2014, 01:57:44 PM
Thanks for sharing your post Mark. :thumb:  I'm certain alot of folks here will benefit from your modification.

BTW... :nail :nail

You certainly are more bold than I in tempting the Gods of the deep with your boat name. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just Kidding   8)

What happened to Unsinkable I ? :donno: :party

Hahaha .... Probably sunk !!!!! :cry4` :cry4` :cry4`

Obviously our 91/92 had a 10lb/4kg storage fitted  :thumb:

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

kwaltersmi

Nice work. I received the new locker lid from Catalina Direct for Christmas, but I considered a similar mod.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Ken Juul

Ron and Stu and I have been posting here for a long time.  Doesn't make it the only solution.  Nice thinking out of box......propane box in this case.  Nice alternative solution.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

Mark,
Congratulations on a fine project.   Just wanted to put in my 2 cents on the "liquid nails" shown in the pictures.  Till I hear from someone that knows more than than I do about boat work.  I leave the  "liquid nails" construction adhesive at home.  May be I'm just making more work for myself.  I'd like to know what others think.
Just a thought.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mark_53

Jim:

The liquid nails was my fist thought.  I actually used silicone caulk as can be seen in the second photo.

Mark

Ron Hill

Mark : Ken is right, it's a nice modification if you still want to use the little 4 lb bottle.  The trouble is that the OPD float device reduces the original bottle capacity by about 20%.

For cruising, I'd recommend that people go with an OPD device in the old 10 lb bottle or purchase a new 11 lb bottle with the OPD device already installed.  I like the greater capacity bottle.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

on my 89 "Forget-Me-Knot" I replaced that little useless tank (it was upgraded with the valve and held very little), robbed the hardware off the factory box and built a box to hold twin tanks.  All original venting, drain and piping switched over to the new box.
With the new valve my OEM tank stopped at 2.5#  
My box now holds twin 5# vertical tanks.
Don't mind the looks of the material.  It is cutting board material from my meat department. I replaced the cutting surfaces and knew I'd have a use for the old tops and I used some of the new board too.
All joints were caulked and rubber gasket for top.

Don't forget to visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com