Broken engine front side mounts

Previous topic - Next topic

AT Phillips

Many thanks to this site and the fantastic contributors.  I have done several projects all very successful thanks to this site.  I purchased my boat in Aug. 2011.  Had it surveyed etc. never noticed that both of the front side mounts were completely severed, until last weekend.   :shock:   

I have an M-35.  I see how to replace the mounts, but was wondering if anyone has any lessons learned on replacing the metal mounts, if so I would appreciate them.

Also, I'm concerned about how they fatigued in the first place.  Vibrations? That metal is thick!  What else do I need to check/replace, besides the mounts?  I have a dripless stuffing box.  Once I replace the mounts I figure I'll need to check the shaft, but not sure how. 

ps hope the picture shows the break clearly.  Both sides are broken, only the rear mounts are holding the engine.
Adam Phillips
1991 Catalina C34
"Rising Sun" Hull #1115, M-35
Chesapeake Bay

lazybone

Perhaps someone attempted to align the engine with a gross adjustment of just one mount, the uneven load together with the continuous vibration of the running engine could quickly lead to metal fatigue.

Best to adjust the engine alignment with all four mount top nuts backed off.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ken Juul

Well documented problem.  Review this thread, give Joe Joyce at westerbeake a call, he may still be replacing the brackets for free.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2935.0.html
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

AT : If you look in Critical Updates , you'll see in my post (#10 in 2009) I mention the M35 Engine gusset engine mount problem!!

You need to do some reading, because the information is already out there!!

Even though I didn't know what the post meant, if I had an M35 engine and saw something written about M35 engine mounts in Critical Updates - I believe that I'd research it and find out the details!! 
My thoughts                     
Ron, Apache #788

AT Phillips

Thanks Ron.... I'll be sure to read more.

Truth is...when I read your comment in the critical upgrades, I had no idea what "gossots" on engine mounts were.

[Spelling corrected on Critical Upgrades Reply #9 - Stu 2/13/14]

Mr. Juul's response made my day.  Thanks Ken!!
Adam Phillips
1991 Catalina C34
"Rising Sun" Hull #1115, M-35
Chesapeake Bay