Stack Pack for main sail

Previous topic - Next topic

mtullier

Does anyone have experience with a stack pack, mack pack, or something similar?  Considering going this route due to the fact that its time to replace the main sail cover.  Thanks, Mike
Mike

TonyP

Mike
We are getting one made at the moment. Getting rid of the old lazy jacks and old sail cover. We are using our local club trimmer as he did a magnificent job on our bimini replacement which was a PITA for him with our solar panels and split back stays. Work of Sunbrella and zipper art.
Someone more local to you might point you in the right direction for a supplier.
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Ken Juul

As convenient as they are, I don't like them.  Had one on a charter boat, had to climb onto the hard dodger to zip it.  Dock mates have one, they need a step ladder to reach their zipper.  Do a dry run and see how it would work before you commit any dollars.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Andrew Harvey

They are also really good at collecting rainwater.
Andrew Harvey

frank

Hi Mike; |We have a Mac-Pac on our 1999 C34. Works well most of the time. Able to zip/unzip from the cockpit using the endless loop arrangement. Some times have to go up on cabin top to stow/tuck head section of mainsail into the Mac-Pac.
Frank  SV Swan Song. 

Brent Evans

I made my own from Sailrite's design.  Like it very much.  Both problems mentioned above are manageable:  Once the sail is down, I just swing the boom over to one side or the other via the traveler to zip it closed.  And lowering the topping lift slightly so the boom is off horizontal drains any water that might enter.

dgill

I have the Doyle Stack Pack on my 1987 C34 and it is great.  There is no problem zipping it up, on our boats.  If you sail short handed it is especially nice.  I also have the Tide Track on the mast and the sail drops immediately right into the stack pack.   

D. Gill
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: dgill on December 16, 2013, 01:46:26 PM
I have the Doyle Stack Pack on my 1987 C34 and it is great.  There is no problem zipping it up, on our boats.  If you sail short handed it is especially nice.  I also have the Tide Track on the mast and the sail drops immediately right into the stack pack.   

D. Gill

We have a Mack Pack on Esprit du Vent and I like it in general.  We do not have a Tide Track or a Strong Track so the main does not fall so neatly into the pack.  It is on the wish list for the future.  I am six feet two so I have no issue about placing the main halyard on the head of the main.  However, the other three people in our LLC are of modest stature.  They do have issues.  So, I would investigate a zipper that goes vertical about a foot away from the mast so you can zip down the pack, attach the halyard, and zip the pack up again.  Mack Sails is near by so if I wanted this modification I am sure they would accommodate us.  Right now it is the tall guy's job to attach the halyard.  Water in the pack is not a problem for us as the zipper works well.  So, the bottom line is get the pack with the track and you are set to go.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Clay Greene

I've used one on charter boats before and they seem to work fine.  I am not a fan of the required lazy jacks, however - you need to be dead into the wind to raise and lower the sail.  We have the Strong track with Dutchman lines and that works the best for us.  Once the sail is trained, it falls onto the boom except for the last two or three feet, which we can just ignore until we are back at the slip.  We also can have a loose-footed main and that is not an option (or at least it has no point) with a Stack/Mack Pack.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: claygr on December 17, 2013, 07:56:49 PM
I've used one on charter boats before and they seem to work fine.  I am not a fan of the required lazy jacks, however - you need to be dead into the wind to raise and lower the sail.  We have the Strong track with Dutchman lines and that works the best for us.  Once the sail is trained, it falls onto the boom except for the last two or three feet, which we can just ignore until we are back at the slip.  We also can have a loose-footed main and that is not an option (or at least it has no point) with a Stack/Mack Pack.

We have found that the main has to be into the wind, but not the boat.  In fact, raising the main without fouling the lazy jacks is easier if the jib is set first.  Then point as high as you can, about 45° on the API.  Next, let the main sheet out such that the main will be pointing into the wind.  Keep an eye on the main as it goes up.  This is easy to do on our boat as we have the dodger in storage most of the time.  This procedure has changed raising sail from an activity full of "fits and starts" to one of smooth operations.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Stu Jackson

Quote from: claygr on December 17, 2013, 07:56:49 PM
...you need to be dead into the wind to raise...the sail. 

Not necessarily.

Lazy Jack Trick

Many folks complain about full battens getting caught up when raising the mainsail. They then spend a lot of time moving BOTH sides of the lazy jacks to the mast.

We developed an easier way with our lazy jacks.

We have a small cleat on the forward starboard side of the boom. When we put the halyard on the headboard, we move ONLY the starboard side of the lazy jacks forward and snug them under the forward side of the horn of this cleat.

Then, when we raise the mainsail, instead of going exactly head to wind, we bear off a tad to starboard so the wind is coming from the port side of the bow.

We then raise the mainsail and it doesn't get hooked on the lazy jacks even though the port side jacks are still there.

Been working for 15 years.

Yes, we have to go forward again to unhook the starboard lazy jack for dousing the sail if I forget to do it right when the main is raised, but there's never any hurry.  The drill is:  after the main is raised, I unhook that starboard lazy jack, so they're both ready to go when we drop the sails at the end of the day.

So, for those of you with lazy jacks, consider doing only one side.

Your boat, your choice.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."