No power!

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Jeff : In one of your posts you asked "How do you check an ignition switch"?

If you do not have a glow plug button switch like the starter button switch (some early C34 1988's had that!) then you have a spring loaded glow plug in the key switch. 

There are two + poles, one is "continuous" and the other is "momentary".  Take a multi meter and  set it for ohms or continuity.  Attach one probe on the continuous and the other to ground and turn ON the key switch - you should get numbers/continuity if the switch is OK.

You might also check to see if you have a bad + or - wire connections to the switch?  Good Luck
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Check your ground wire.  Had the same problem. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jeff Tancock

I made a trip out to my boat yesterday afternoon to do a few things but mostly to confirm that my ignition switch was dead. I turned on the batteries, pulled the engine panel and checked for voltage with my trusty multimeter on each side of the switch with and without the key turned on...all good? 12V reading with key off, nothing with key on. So I turned off the battery, inspected and touched all the connections, switches, beakers, grounds. Couldn't find anything loose or out of sorts. Turned the battery on......it light up. Damn! I did too many things at once. Stu warned me about that......now I'm pissed that I don't know what to do to prevent it happening again.
If it dies again, is there a safe and easy way to start up the engine?
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Roc

Go back and touch all the connections, breakers, etc you did before...  this time one by one, and see if it goes out. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Jeff : I'd buy a new ignition switch and have it on hand (keep the sales slip!)  That $20 switch is cheap insurance!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788