Macerator

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I had hoped to install a Shureflow 3200 macerator, they are out of stock until sometime in November.  I guess I can pick one up on the way south, won't need until mid December or later.  Anybody have any experience with the West Marine brand, staying away from Jabsco.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mainesail

Ken,

When it comes to macerators they are all pretty much crap (excuse the pun). I see no longevity differences between Johnson, SureFlo or Jabsco... Problem is there is a LOT of acid in waste systems and it wreaks havoc on these things. I have a customers 1 year old head leaking like a sieve right now because they left the boat for two weeks with urine in the bowl, by accident, and it ate through the macerator.... I have seen them with the bolts eaten through, the shaft eaten through etc. etc.. Best to mount them as high as possible so they are not in the effluent, except when pumping.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

Guys : One of the BIGGEST problems with the macerator on a C34 is that there is not enough room in the holding tank outlet hose to macerator to put in a cutoff valve!!

As Mainsail said it is VERY important to flush the head system with fresh water before you leave the boat sit for any length of time.  Easy to do - just don't forget !!

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I'm in the process of replacing my 26 year old macerator.  Mainsheet article to follow.  I purchased a Shurflo, 'cuz the fine details of construction are a tad better than the Jabscos.  That said, if you have to get one and Shurflo's out, get something if you need it.  Previous recommendations are spot on.

Ken, my take is that even the Jabsco is better than the WM model, based on my research.  My Shurflo cost $131 + s/h of $23 from Janestown distributors, best price I could find and only $5 or so more than the Jabsco.  The issue with the Jabsco is the connection between the pump body and the motor.  Details, details...:D

The way I approached this one, after installing a new HW heater and hoses to the head sink, is simple: spend a few more bucks 'cuz this isn't something you ever wanna do again.   :cry4` :shock: 8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 17, 2013, 02:42:44 PM

As Mainsail said it is VERY important to flush the head system with fresh water before you leave the boat sit for any length of time.  Easy to do - just don't forget !!

My thought

Here is a thought.  Since we don't do any long distance cruising, the fresh water supply is not an issue with us.  We ONLY use fresh water in the head.  We have had a bad macerator for the year we have owned Esprit du Vent.  Have been planning to do it for some time now, but just have not been willing to put in the "messy" time.  Pump-out is cheap enough and better for the environment.  At the rate we pump it would take about 3 years to break even.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Stu Jackson

Bob has a good point and well worth considering.

Just a reminder, the "101 Topics" have a few good discussions about head odors and system simplicity.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."