Transmission position when sailing

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Young

I normally place my transmission in reverse while sailing. However last weekend I placed it in neutral. I noticed a new noise ( grrh,grrh,grrh) like a bearing going bad.  When I placed it in reverse the noise went away. When I cranked up the engine I did not notice any bearing noise.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Cutlass? Transmission?  and how to figure out what is the problem and how To fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

Brad, it's simply because the prop is turning when you're in neutral and sailing.  Most of us sail with it in reverse, some in neutral with the noise or a shaft lock to stop the noise.  Never in forward.  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=The_Right_Transmission_Gear_for_Sailing
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RV61

Brad, I have a PSS dripless shaft seal and I found I need to burb it on occasion and be sure the shaft is  free of an type of dirt and dust where it passes thru seal. To burp I :?: just pull back toward aft on the Disk untill water comes in and release. Once clean and burbed squeal dissapears. Do you have a PSS Dripless shaft seal?
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ron Hill

Brad : You could have a worn cutless bearing.  The way to tell is get in the water and check the play, or have the boat hauled and check the play.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

wind dancer

This could be as simple as a ground to your prop shaft making noise.  When the shaft turns it rubs, when it's locked it doesn't.  I had a shaft brush grounding strap that pressed against my prop shaft in my old C34.  Not sure if it was effective -- it was there when I purchased the boat.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Jack Hutteball

Brad,
It could also be a loose shaft zinc that has slid down and be rubbing on the shaft strut.  Happened to me once.  Could not hear it when engine was running, but was very noticeable if the shaft was free wheeling.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington