Hot Water Heater

Previous topic - Next topic

mvazmina

I think this may have been one of the items lost in the transition, but I like the new board.

I have a had and major water leak in my fresh water system and it appears to be the hot water heater. When the water pressure is on I lost over 50 gallons of water overnight. I have checked everything I can see and suspect it is the water heater which is orgininal (1986) and has a large band of rust around the bottom. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am also looking at replacing it with a tankless unit. (Eemax from West) We only use the hot water at the dock so it would be a problem. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with these , good or bad.

Thanks in advance

Hull#753

Yes, but not exactly.  My clue was a barely perceptible HISS, quiet enough that I had probs determining the source of the sound. (Wasn't sure if it was from battery compartment, under the galley sink, head, engine compartment, battery chareger under the nav table!)
Dismayed to find it was a crack in one of the threaded plastic connecters from water heater to hose.  Had a bear of a time finding a replacement on short notice - threading is unique.  Finally went with something CLOSE at Home Depot and along with Teflon tape, I forced it to work.  The answer, of course, is to contact manufacturer, but had no desire to pay hundreds for a small plastic part & at the time couldn't wait the week for official part to arrive.  I'm not onboard currently, but if memory serves, Hot
Water maker is Seaward...

Hope this helps

John

Larry Calfee

I too had a leak in the water system.  The symptoms were water pressure pump coming on frequently when system was not in use, bilge pump working more frequently and fresh water in bilge.  I found a small leak in the plastic fitting coming from the hot water tank.  On manipulation during closer inspection, it came off in my hand.  I was unable to find another plastic fitting but found some brass fittings at the marine store that worked well.  As I recall there were no problems with the threads being miss matched.  No problems since change over.