Main Panel Schematic

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

After accomplishing the rewiring of the engine and batteries, I'm interested in tackling the rats nest behind the main panel. I've used search, Tech wiki manuals, and projects and have yet to find a schematic of what the "STANDARD" wiring should look like for a Mk I boat. I did read, with awe, Mike Vaccaro's building of a new panel - awesome! Also, in the aforementioned searches, I see the mention of the elusive schematic; but, have yet to locate it.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

prh77

There is a basic AC and DC schematic in the owners manual. One caveat; I think Catalina was notorious for non-standard wire colors from year to year. And then there is the PO issue.....
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : From my limited experience, I've found that each year 1986/87, 1988, 1989, 1999 etc. Catalina changed the main electrical panel.  The switches are in different positions and they really look different. 

Why????? - who knows?
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 27, 2013, 06:15:44 PM
Lance : From my limited experience, I've found that each year 1986/87, 1988, 1989, 1999 etc. Catalina changed the main electrical panel.  The switches are in different positions and they really look different.  

Why????? - who knows?

Most likely because that's what they bought from Seaward.

Lance, I urge you to use the manual wiring diagrams, but carefully check your own wiring.  I found a major error in the AC wiring in the hard copy manual that came with my boat - they got the black (hot), white (neutral), and green (ground) messed up big time.  It appears to be correct in the manuals on the wiki, but not in my hard copy.  Trust, but verify.  :D  I also suggest you draw a wiring diagram of the terminal blocks that are attached to the hull behind the electrical panel.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

GUYS : For those that like history, Bristol Marine made the original Main electrical panel and the Engine instrument panel for Catalina Yachts.  They were bought out by Seaward in 1989/99.

The functions on the main electrical panel are the same for all years, but for 1988 production the ABYC changed the specs - hence these and later boats have breakers and a AC GFI circuit.

The location placement of the functions and their switches in each years production appears to have been selected by the roll of the dice!! 
There is NOTHING standard in appearance from year to year!!  If the panel didn't say "Catalina Yachts", you'd think you were in a different make boat!!

Again, Who .... Knows???
Ron, Apache #788