spreader lights????

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

Hey all;
Well evidently my search skills leave much to be desired.  I tried searching in the forums as well as doing the Google search in C34 for "spreader lights" without success.

Forget-Me-Knot Hull 854 1989 vintage has the "deck" light.  This provides a good illumination of things forward of the mast but aft of the mast you're still "in the dark."
Has anyone tried installing more conventional spreader lights (LED technology today) on your boat?
I don't think by deck light is exactly at the level of the spreaders so how will I wire them?
Is it possible to hit the tube in the mast?  without wrecking existing wires in it?

Open for suggestions...

Thanks in Advance
Steve

Visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Ron Hill

Steve : If you are going to pull the mast out of the boat, that's the time to do spreader light wiring.  

You could run those wires inside the mast conduit and have that wire come out at the present deck light/steaming light.  Then go to each of the spreaders.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

Ron
The issue I have is that my steaming and deck light fixture is about 4ft below the height of my spreaders.
Steve

Ron Hill

Steve : I know that the OEM deck/steaming light is below the spreader arms (on my boat about 2 feet).  All I did was make a suggestion on where to have the wires EASILY come out of the mast and mast conduit!!

If you want the wires to exit higher, then drill a new hole in the mast at the spreaders and have the wires come out there!!  Your boat

I don't know of any article/post that has been written on spreader light.  I don't sail at night in the Chesapeake Bay because of the number of crab pots and set lines.  

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

Thanks Ron
I guess this is one of those times I'll have to stare at it several times, blowing the froth off a cold one and wait for an epiphany..
I do appreciate the suggestions and help.
Steve

patrice

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

patrice

as you said, drilling into the plastic conduit, I'd be afraid to dril a wire and ruine it.
Unless you can rotate the mast on a stand, so that when you drill, you drill directly from the top verticaly and wire would sit lower in conduit.
Go very slow, and stop as you go thru
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

stevewitt1

Patrice
Good Idea, thanks.  I may also drill through the mast, then dremmel slower through the conduit if I'm able.  I know my conduit has a little more than normal in it.  I fed new Beldin 9913F7 coax for my VHF, wow, what a difference in reception and transmission!!  But, I also left my RG6 in there to use for a TV antenna that I hope to install this off season with the mast down.

Steve

On a personal note:  How's the boat treating you??  I would have gone through with the deal on her at Coneys if I didn't live so far away.

patrice

Hi,

We had another good season with her ;-)
We redid the interior, woodwork last spring.  Added a solar panel (being on a mooring).
Be we really enjoy the boat.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

stevewitt1

That's great to hear.
When you decide to make a little trip around the Great Lakes be sure and stop by.  The coffee pot is always on! (thats only a metaphor as it could also be an ice cold brewski)
Steve

patrice

Hi,
Thanks for the offer, which is also good for you .  :D
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Quote from: stevewitt1 on September 18, 2013, 12:05:39 PM

Well evidently my search skills leave much to be desired.  I tried searching in the forums as well as doing the Google search in C34 for "spreader lights" without success.

Steve, your search skills are just fine.  IIRC, we just haven't had any discussions about this subject.

My take:  of course, your boat, your choice, but whenever I've heard this discussion it involves "newbies" who want to light up the neighborhood, or folks who may not have yet invested time in LEDs and/or battery powered cockpit lighting.

I anchor out quite a lot, usually once a week, and I have never, in 15 years on our C34 and 12 years before that on our C25, felt a need for more lighting.  It could well be that I anchor surrounded by "City Lights" here in the Bay Area, but even when we went up to the California Delta (middle o'nowhere) and the full moon wasn't up, I never felt any issues would warrant the need for more lighting.

Those are my observations only, and you may have very good reasons to consider them.

If so, you may want to at least consider somewhere easier to wire them, they don't have to be "all the way up there."

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

Thanks Stu

Actually in a small (very small) way I'm glad to see the off season coming.  I can start a list of things that need to be done and things that I want to do.  Try as I may to contro it, my self diagnosed case of ADHD keeps me hopping from one idea to the next.

I prefer to spend my time on the hook (to cheap for transient fees) and I also spend a considerable amount of time sailing after sunset, arriving at my anchorage after dark.  The deck light provides adequate light for setting my ground tackle (even easier when I get a windlass installed-oops, another topic) but maybe it's just me, but I find it just a little too dark aft of the mast for getting my cockpit tent up, if required and mostly for getting my 5hp Merc down over the side into my dink safely without deep sixing it.
After reading your post I had another Epiphany!  perhaps an LED fixture mounted on the bottom side of my radar mount on the stern nnav tower.  Light shines from behind so it may cast some shadows but shouldn't hurt the nightvision as much..  I don't feel the need to light up the area, actually enjoy the serenity of night but after I get comfortable on the hook and take the "little Skipper (Schipperke)" to shore before settling down for a nightcap.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: stevewitt1 on September 20, 2013, 03:01:30 PM...but I find it just a little too dark aft of the mast for getting my cockpit tent up, if required and mostly for getting my 5hp Merc down over the side into my dink safely without deep sixing it.
After reading your post I had another Epiphany!  perhaps an LED fixture mounted on the bottom side of my radar mount on the stern nnav tower.  Light shines from behind so it may cast some shadows but shouldn't hurt the nightvision as much.. 

I think you're getting closer.  If your goal is to have enough light to drop your outboard on the dink, and you already have a nav tower, then you should be able to easily route 12V wiring up through the "vent" for the blower hose and hang a light on it.  I'm a proponent of "toggle switches" which work really well in most environments, so you could find a good place for this I/O switch in the wiring.  Just workin' on it here...:D

Our avatar has our Garhauer motor lift supporting our lamp oil anchor light.  Heck, ya could go lamp oil, too.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

Steve: under the radar unit sounds like the solution. Nightvision...think about using a red light. How about 2 lights, one red & one clear, the best of both worlds....just another view.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.