Line stopper broken

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

hey all

How do I know if I have Garhauer or Spinlock line stoppers?  It is the one on my starboard side that my main halyard goes through.  It appears to have broken?!?!?!  I think a coil spring broke on on the right side looking at it from the cockpit.

Are these repairable or do I have to spring for a new one???

If it is, can I do it?  the pins look pressed or knurled at the ends.  I don't think I saw a name on it.
My 34 is hull 854 1989 and I think it's an original piece of equipment.

Thanks in advance
Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com

Ron Hill

Stev3e : It seems to me that that is a Garhauer or Spinlock question!! 

Why not ask them??
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Steve,
Post a picture, I'm sure one of us can answer that.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

stevewitt1

Roc
Thanks, I will post a pic.  I was going to take one when I got back to the boat last night but it was dark.
Steve

mregan

If you have the same as my '86, I think it may be a Lewmar.  Doesn't look like a Garhaurer or a Spinlock.   Kind of looks like the newer Lewmars.  Mine also doesn't have any label/sticker.  Does it look like a big grey chuck of plastic?  The Garhaurer are all chromed stainless.

Clay Greene

Steve, our 1989 C34 (hull #873) had Lewmar rope clutches.  It has been a long time since we did it but I believe the holes on the new Lewmar D1 clutches matched up with the old holes. 

I have a single Lewmar clutch left over in my boat "graveyard."  Send me an e-mail at greenesail@sbcglobal.net if you are interested and I can send you a photo to see if they match up. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

stevewitt1

These are pictures of the culprit.....GGGGgggggrrrrr

stevewitt1

picture two

Craig Illman

lazybone

Send it back, they will fix it.
Great outfit.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Steve : How hard is it to pickup the phone ?? and call Garhauer @ (909) 985-7513 or 9993.   
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

Ron
Thanks for the phone #s.  I emailed them the pics hoping for an identification.  I asked if their model can it be sent in for repairs.  I was hesitant to call someone not knowing if it was even their product.  I suppose I should have just removed it and looked for markings closer.
Thanks Again
Steve

tonywright

I thought a spring might be broken on mine a couple of months back. I called Garhauer. They advised that the bolts holding the unit together sometimes work loose. So I found a way to remove it, tighten the hex bolts and reinstall. Problem fixed. It wasn't a spring after all. No need for any repairs. Great clutches!
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ralph Masters

I have one on my boat that looks exactly like that and it has a Lewmar tag on it.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987