Low cost back rest

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hello Everyone,

I have been following the thread "Taken out center bar of stern pulpit...?" and, for a number of reasons I did not want to do that.  It did get me thinking.  I have tried getting a seat cushion to serve as a back rest.  Nothing worked quite right for me.  Then, while reading the thread, I asked myself how I could get padding on the horizontal bar?  Swim "noodle!"  In addition to a back rest it is a chafing guard for the swim ladder.  Here is what I came up with that works for me.

Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Fred Koehlmann

I like the port and starboard coloured fasteners!!  :lol:
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

jmcdonald

When I removed my center bar, I did make a safety bar / back rest out of 2" wide
aluminum strap. I used a quick release through pin to hold it to the rail on each side.
I think something  with some strength needs to be across the opening when your at sea.
I often hang one of those thowable seat cushions on the strap to lean against.

Fuzzy

Lot's of good ideas there.  I also use a throwable seat cusion for a back rest but I'm always looking
for better ideas.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

mregan

Glad that works, I've been thinking of doing the same thing all summer but never got around to it.  Plan on making one this winter and covering it with sunbrella.

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: Fuzzy on September 16, 2013, 07:49:05 PM
Lot's of good ideas there.  I also use a throwable seat cusion for a back rest but I'm always looking
for better ideas.
Larry

Hi Larry,

For months now I have been trying to secure one of those seat cushions using the same port & starboard Velcro ties.  It kept rotating on me.  Did not go overboard, but it just would not stay in place.  Until I read the walk-through thread I was going to have a custom "J-Back" made by C Cushions, Inc. (www.ccushions.com/products.htm).  However, this works for me.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422