Marine sources

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Obviously Paris Island and San Diego.
Has anyone put together, similar to critical upgrades or 101, a listing of good vendors that we use?
Such as:
Electrical - West Marine, Defender, Genuine, etc.
Cordage - New England Ropes, West Marine etc
Fabric or sewing supplies - Sailrite
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

I did one for local sources:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1947.0.html

It seems odd in this day and age that folks wouldn't know about suppliers and vendors for marine material.  Google is your friend, as well as asking right here.

I just did some comparison shopping for my galley sink upgrade and for a new macerator pump and came across a few "new to me" places.  I found the lowest price through Google.  Pretty simple really.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : On cordage I'd look at Sampson as their line holds it color - New England does NOT!! Look on line

If you go on line you can beat fabric and thread prices of Sailrite
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Weiss

In Maine, for general marine supplies I love Hamilton Marine. I also recently found Chase Leavitt in Portland, ME. They seem very good for charts, inflatables and safety equipment. I bought an Achilles dinghy from them, they were a little more expensive than Defender but not too bad. Excellent service though.

Ron Hill

Lance : You might also look for cordage at your local sailmaker.  They sometimes have seasonal sales!

Don't forget to go online and look for any of your sailing needs!!
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

I'm not looking for anything in particular. I just thought it would be nice to have a listing of all the different online sources for sailing equipment. That's why I mentioned Cordage, and other pertinent equipment for sail boats that one might look for.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

LANCE : About 12 -15 years ago I published a list of dealer/contractors of the many different system products that are on a C34.  I sent in updates(changed phone #s company mergers) a couple of times.

In many cases I not only listed their telephone number, but their addresses.  It's out there, but people never look at it because the questions on the Message Board are evident that nobody reads it anyway!!  I listed ARC electronics to Zantrex with 4 pages of companies in-between.

Why make another list??  A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ron,
That's my point. You published it YEARS ago. Where is it located? Can you send a link?
IMHO THAT list ought to be as prominant as the 101 title and Mandantory things to do our your boat or it will blow up in the next 10 nanoseconds subjects on the top of the message board.

Many people think that the top level of the message board is fairly static, and in a way, it is. There are some titles that should be reviewed and moved or removed.
As far as parts, wiring, cordage etc. businesses come and go. Also, newbies may not have a clue where to start looking.

Just a thought.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : My updated list is on the computer at home. 

When I get back in mid Oct, I'll send you an updated copy of my contact list!
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Most of the "changes" to my list are additions of companies. 

Surprisingly, Most of these companies remain in the same location with the same telephone numbers.

Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Great! If we can get it posted and editable, we all might find new and less expensive "stuff"!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622