Mast movement

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

Thanks Phil

I'll check into doing that. 

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Ron Hill

Steve : The "eyes" that Phil and I are talking about in the 1988 boats are bolted and not riveted, and I suspect that your may also bolted.

Who ever installed your ridged vang could have rivet the foot, but like Phil said it is easy to drill out the rivets and tape in an thread for bolts.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

I can confirm that our vang "eye" also was riveted in place on hull #873. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

stevewitt1

This is mine riveted in.
Is mine lower than most others??? I didn't notice it went down below the boot.
If I drill it out, tap the holes, I'll still have to either move it up or notch the boot to be able to tighten it back in place after putting in the wedges and the boot...... :-/

Steve

lazybone

You can do it from below, just get a short piece of line about the size of the space. 
One or two turns, taped in tight as you go around.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Steve : Sorry as I was wrong.  Looking back I'll guess that it was the riggers at the dealers that prepared the mast and booms.
In your case they pop riveted - in my case they drilled and taped!!

Anyway, if you are pulling the mast that eye can stay in place.  Just remove the "hose clamp" from around the base of the mast boot, and leave it on the mast when it's pulled.  Then replace the old boot with a new boot while the mast is out and caulk the new boot in place when the mast is back in the boat.

I'm not too sure that it's wise to try putting in wedges from the bottom - not sure they'll stay in place.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

Ron
Thanks for the help.  I understand how I can replace the boot with the mast out.  My problem is that with that vang eye in place I can't lower the mast to rest on the mast keel collar and still be able to slide the boot higher on the mast to be able to put the wedges in from the top.  The wedges were. in fact, put in from the bottom this year do to this quandary and I've fought all season repositioning them as they would fall out under certain conditions.

My goal, if possible, is to be able to position the mast on the keel, wedge it centered, the put the new boot down over the opening and finally still have the boom vang functional.

Thanks again
Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Ron Hill

Steve : Then do as I have already suggested: 
Drill out the Pop Rivets and move the vang eye and the vang foot up when the mast is removed so you can replace the boot.

Now when the mast is re-stepped, it will set all the way down in the mast step shoe.  When all is settled you'll have to drill some new holes above the mast boot for the vang eye and the vang foot. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

Steve: you may want to think about moving the eye up about an inch. But, moving the eye or not, flathead machine screws that fit almost flush with the eye will let you fit the eye behind the boot. Seal around the eye & go sailing.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Clay Greene

Steve, our boats may have both come from the same dealer, Sail Place, at about the same time, which would explain why we both have riveted vang eyes.  Our eye was about in the same position as yours, just above the mast boot. 

It shouldn't be too hard to drill out the rivets and then replace with machine screws.  The aluminum in the mast is pretty soft.  The only concern I might have is holding strength of the machine screws but that doesn't seem to be a problem based on what others are reporting. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

stevewitt1

Clay
I plan on moving it up some.  Actually it appears to set inside the sail track.  If it truly does, It could probably be held im place by a small stop above and below.  If it does fit in there it could very well only need to be held up or down in position.  My Allmand's boom fitting moved in the track and when the sail was down it rested on a stop that was just tightened in place below it.

Steve