Reefer Help

Previous topic - Next topic

bayates

I had a leak in the evaporator in the Adler Barbour unit.  I had the leak repaired and the unit vacuumed and recharged.  It appeared to be all OK.  Now the unit runs constantly (did not do it previously) and there is significant condensation coming off the lines from the compressor.  It is so much it leaks into the bulkhead where the thru-hull for raw seawater is located in measurable amounts.  I am sure some one has seen this before and resolved it.  I do not want to buy another unit.  Better stuff to spend a boat unit on.  I am worried about the unit not shutting off as it used to and the draw on the battery bank.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

patrice

Hi,

Have you check the thermostat ?  Setting of it and cable to the controller.
It might have been disconected.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

prh77

I can't remember which it is but it sound like it is either overserviced or underserviced with Freon.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Lance Jones

Dude, I totally expected something different with this topics title....
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

lazybone

Quote from: Lance Jones on September 12, 2013, 04:39:13 AM
Dude, I totally expected something different with this topics title....

Exactly,  I thought you had an oversupply?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Quote from: prh77 on September 09, 2013, 07:22:11 AM
I can't remember which it is but it sound like it is either overserviced or underserviced with Freon.

That's the most obvious possibility.  Have the guys who did it come back, completely evacuate the unit and recharge it properly.  And check the thermostat first.  Turn the unit on, and listen for the click at the thermostat as you turn it up to a colder setting.  If it doesn't click, then you might have an issue with it, too.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

I'd get those tech guys back and have them look at your system again.

Also look at the thermostat tubing and make sure that it isn't touching the freezer compartment.  I slit some thin hose tubing and slid it around the thermostat tubing so it can't directly touch the freezer.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

sailaway

Have the same problem. Old unit worked good for ever. went online got new thermosat installed same problem. I worry I have lost some Freon. The unit works good just runs all the time. Kills my batt when not pluged in. Charlie

Stu Jackson

As previously published in many, many Forums, a traditional fridge will use 60 ah per day.  5 amps, 24 hours, 50% duty cycle.  Do the math.  :D :D :D

There are others out there that use less, like Engle.  There was a thread about that recently, scroll down or to Page Two.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

mregan

Sounds like it's undercharged. Have the tech come back and check the pressures.

Fred Koehlmann

Yep, your system was not properly charged.

We had the same issue this spring. I needed the fridge recharged, because I messed up at the end of last year (wanted a ice cube for my rum, and used a knife to free the cube tray... won't be doing that again). Anyway the marina had someone come in to recharge the system, but during our two week vacation, the fridge was very noisy and ran continuously and did not freeze water. Then it stopped working for short periods (the breaker would turn off).

After complaining  to our marina, upon return, they admitted that they had someone do the work that normally doesn't work on boast ( they did house and commercial). After another company came, they did a proper evacuation, pressure test and recharged the system.

Works just fine now, even makes ice again.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

bayates

Thanks, We did find it was overcharged. Defrosted and rebooted yesterday. Will check tomorrow. If it is still not working we are going to follow the same example and bring in the experts to check it out.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA