"Blade" headsail and track length

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkar

Winter in Michigan gives one time to ponder the past season and improvements for the upcoming year.  The first project is to figure out a better way to trim the "Blade".  As Stu mentioned, he has a similiar sail, basically it is a 85%, mine is a little larger at 93% but the idea is the same, small sail to allow pointing in heavy air.  My problem is that the inside track does not extend forward enough to get a nice tight angle.  So the question is, do others have a similiar sail, has anyone added track forward and inside of the shrouds, added a block to the forward shround to effect a barber haul before the genoa block, or when it starts to blow like snot are we not that worried about being hard on the wind.  I can only seem to get about 35-40degrees apparent and would like to get that extra 5-10 out of it.  Thanks for your thoughts. Joel

dave davis-707-1988- san

When it blows like stink, its nice to have a small blade. I have a 95% with two battens which was cut for running to the cabin top. I installed a short track about 1 1/2 foot length. It's great for going up wind but is lousy off or down wind.
Good Luck...Dave

tandm

PO added track and cars to the coach roof so he could use a North sail from is C30. It ends up being about 95% or so, I believe.  I have never had the need to use the sail so I can not attest to the effectiveness of the setup.

td
Peregrine #543