buzzer issue

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

My buzzer works sometimes and other times I can hear a slight noise from it.  This has been going for 2 years.  I purchased a new one but every time I go to put it in, the old new works.  Checked for loose wires, none. This morning the buzzer was working, checked all wires.  All ideas are welcomed.
Thanks,
Paul

I do have the upgraded panel on my 1989.  Put in by previous owner.
Cool Change 1989 #944

lazybone

Sounds like a bad buzzer.  Why not try replacing it?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Jim Hardesty

If you haven't done so yet, check the wires and connectors on the oil pressure sending unit.  That is where the alarm signal starts.  Try turning the key on engine off then move or wiggle connectors to see if the alarm changes.  Then I would change the buzzer.  The last thing I would want is to loose oil pressure and not be able to hear the alarm.  Much better to replace the buzzer than the engine.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Paul : It sounds as thought your NO oil pressure alarm should be changed out. 
I went to Radio Shack and for a few dollars bought the loudest sounding alarm they had!!  I wanted to be able to hear it above all and any noise - it is a real screamer!

Don't be "pound foolish" and screw around with an interment alarm.  I even wired a light in with my oil alarm so with no oil pressure you get the sound and a light!!   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Last year I replaced the oil sending unit and put in a new wire from the sending unit to the buss bar.  I do have a low oil pressure light and that always works. This still did not change the intermittent behavior.  Does the water temperature sending unit affect the buzzer?
Last year I did purchase a new one but have not installed yet. Is this the way a buzzer slowly dies?
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Ron,  I already have a light.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : These buzzers are 50 cent items - just buy a new one and save yourself future mental anguish!! 
Lucky you already have a light and it always functions which tells you the wiring is OK.   My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Thanks, 
Would the buzzer also be affected by the water temperature gauge?
The boat is in storage, will replace it for next summer.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : There is no connection between the oil buzzer and the water temp.  The engine water temp is a separate alarm system.  I'll guess that You probably do not have it on your boat. 
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Ron, I believe it was an option according to the manual.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : You are correct there are options. 

One was to place and wire in a PC board that looked like a dog house on the back of the water temp gage.  It took the analog signal and when the temp hit 200? F degrees sounded an alarm buzzer.
The other was a separate alarm system that comes from the thermostat housing to it's own alarm.

Look to see which system you might have. 

I'll guess neither!!  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Ron, I have temperature gauge and also a light to indicate high water temperature.  This is wired to the alarm buzzer as is my oil light.  My boat water temperature always has operated at 160-165.  I have never overheated the engine(owned boat 10 yrs), I believe the high temperature light needs it own sending unit from the engine.  I think that this was an option.  It is wired as far as the buss bar in the engine room.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : Look at you thermostat housing. 
There should be a brown wire connected to a temperature sender for the gage.  If you have another wire it is from switch to an alarm.  Both the switch and sender are screwed into that housing.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Ron, there is only one wire, brown from the housing. 
Thanks,
Cool Change 1989 #944