Replacement double stanchions

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Damaged mine today. Looks beyond repair.
Is a 1990 hull number 1022. Are those obtainable anywhere?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Cliff : Contact Garhauer Marine.  
They are the people that supplied & made the original ones.  They also have the backing plates!!

Wouldn't be surprised if Garhauer isn't making them for Catalina Direct!!

A thought  
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

We have C34-1023, and lost 2 stanchions and the bow pulpit to Wilma when our boat went over on the hard.  Went to Catalina and picked up the bow pulpit, and showed them the stanchions, which they recommended going taking to a ss fabricator and getting straightened.  Double checked with Garhauer and they said straightening was ok depending on the bend radius. Also checked with Catalina Direct, but the combination of shipping costs and not being sure that the mounting holes would match, ruled them out.  Suggest calling Catalina first, then Garhauer.  Hope this is of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

TonyP

Once when refilling the forward water tank, once filled the stanchion showed a spray of water from a crack at the breather hole. It had a crack from either hitting a pile/wharf and/or being used to help people board (though on opposite side from normal boarding. I took it to a ss fabricator who cut it at the crack, fitted a internal sleeve, and rewelded, then polished, all for $28.00. obviously an easy job for a professional. Another time whilst backed into a pen (away from home on a trip up the coast), a storm hit and pushed the boat back onto the wharf whilst the ladder was down. Of course it got damaged. A local fabricator had the creased section cut out, rewelded in a new section, polished and returned in 48 hours for $100.
Both pieces of stainless are as new and no patch can be detected.
A good fabricator is worth every cent.
Unless your stanchion is damaged way beyond repair, then replace it, but otherwise it can be repaired
cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Paulus

I have 2 at home, if you are talking about the double stanchions used for the gate.  I moved my gate to mid-ship position and order news ones through Torresen.  I think they ordered them from a supplier in California.  I can find out if you want?
Cool Change 1989 #944

lazybone

Quote from: TonyP on September 02, 2013, 12:24:57 AM
Once when refilling the forward water tank, once filled the stanchion showed a spray of water from a crack at the breather hole. It had a crack from either hitting a pile/wharf and/or being used to help people board (though on opposite side from normal boarding. I took it to a ss fabricator who cut it at the crack, fitted a internal sleeve, and rewelded, then polished, all for $28.00. obviously an easy job for a professional. Another time whilst backed into a pen (away from home on a trip up the coast), a storm hit and pushed the boat back onto the wharf whilst the ladder was down. Of course it got damaged. A local fabricator had the creased section cut out, rewelded in a new section, polished and returned in 48 hours for $100.
Both pieces of stainless are as new and no patch can be detected.
A good fabricator is worth every cent.
Unless your stanchion is damaged way beyond repair, then replace it, but otherwise it can be repaired
cheers
Tony

HeHe, you called it a pen.
You foreigners talk funny. :D
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

TonyP

QuoteHeHe, you called it a pen.
You foreigners talk funny.

Ha ha Lazybone

I could have called it  " a thingy whatsy doodar that you tie your boat to" but I think you know what I mean.

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia