New boom?

Previous topic - Next topic

fbien

I have an 86 c34.  The boom has developed a pretty serious dimple and bend (to starboard) where the mid-boom mainsheet connects.

Has anyone replaced a boom on a c34?  Any idea on cost?

I need a new main anyway -- has anyone put a Liesure Furl or similar?  Thoughts?

thx

-fb

lazybones

Sorry to hear about your boom.  Sounds expensive.
I am curious though to hear how you think this problem developed (bad jibe, metal fatigue, etc.).Is there something the rest of us can look out for or avoid?

Stu Jackson

Frank

The website has a parts list.  It's old, but may give you guidance.  Of course, you can always call Catalina.  If you do find out, please let us know.

Thanks, Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

fbien

The dimple started to appear early last season.  We sailed a lot in heavy winds here in San Francisco.  The sail is also a bit blown-out.  I don't fully understand the physics involved... but the other two mainsheet connection points are fine.  

A new "complete" boom w/hardware is $618.  The extrusion itself is cheaper.

-fb

[This message was edited by FrankB - Moose - #220 1986 on February 24, 2003 at 09:55 AM.]

Mark Elkin

I second Ron's suggestion ... just buy what you need.  But do a thorough inspection of the boom pieces.  For example,

Yorkshire Rose developed a problem in the boom's end cap piece at the gooseneck end.  Over the years, the center hole in the end cap has become enlarged enough that the shaft inserted into the end cap had lots of free play.  The unrestrained motion caused lots of extra strain on the internal cotter pin holding the shaft to the end cap.  The strain finally broke the cotter pin and resulted in the boom completely detaching from the gooseneck.  That happened about 3/4 of the way through a 100 mile trip.  Made for an interesting final leg.  Lashed the boom back to the mast but with very restricted swing in the boom.

So, as long as you're putting in the effort to replace the boom, take the time to replace all worn out parts.

Mark Elkin
Yorkshire Rose, #133
Mark S Elkin