REPLACING SHOREPOWER CABLE

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Kern

I did not find a prior thread on this topic so thought I would share this disaster avoided.

Just thought I would share that I went  to my boat this weekend and found that my shore power cable (on the boat end) had melted and probably was on fire/smoldering at some point before the circuit breaker tripped.  Some fiberglass damage but so far no apparent damage in the boat.   I have replaced the cord but did not leave the power on this time.  I am also going to replace the receptacle on the boat.  I don't have a picture of the boat side, but have attached a picture showing the cord side.   Might be a good time to remind everyone  to check and possibly replace their shore power cord sets.  Mine was probably 6-8 years old and although it looked fine probably had some internal damage that started the process.  Obviously It could have been much worse.  Based on conversations in my marina, a majority of folks never even think of this and there are some really old cord sets out there.  I suspect based on the panicked looks on peoples faces, there will be a run on new sets from the local West Marine.

I have ignored the issue of leaving the power on as there are plenty of threads on that topic!

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Andrew Harvey

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. No damage , but the receptacle started to melt.
The culprit was actually a loose wire on the boat receptacle.
A PO must have fixed connections, the cable was stretched to the limit from the panel to the receptacle
I replaced it and the AC cable that leads to breaker panel. Now there is some slack.
Andrew Harvey

bayates

I had similar issue on my C30.  Went to disconnect the cord and the tines in the outlet pulled out with the cord as they were melting through.  I replaced the outlet, and connector on the cord. I monitor it on the 34 on a regular basis.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Jim Hardesty

I turn off the power before connecting/disconnecting.  If connected/disconnected with a power draw it will sometimes arc and may get a burn spot/burr.  Then it won't get as good a connection and just get worse from there.  Can't look at the female end very well, but I check the male plugs and clean them if necessary.  At the start of the season I spray with WD40 dry and clean then some electrical grease.  And I point my tempature gun at each plug when the AC is running at the season start.  Great little gadget.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : Boat or at home makes no difference, always shut off the appliance/AC power switch before disconnecting a cord from a receptacle.

If you have current going thru a wire when you disconnect it, the plug will arc and "dirty up" the contact points on both the male and female plug contacts. 

Turn the switch OFF before disconnecting!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Unless you are the original owner or know if the P/O may have replaced a breaker on the A/C panel. I had a similar problem and found that I, yes I, had caused the problem. I had a breaker keep popping and exchanged the 15amp for a 20amp. No worries, breaker didn't trip anymore. However, later, in the summer, I noticed that the end of the power cord was melting around the female portion around the plug. Thought issue was with the cable and replaced. In the winter, it did the same thing. This time I remembered the breaker replacement and added a 15amp in lieu of the 20 I installed. Over a year later, no other issue.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

BlueWind

I noticed a while back that the female end of my 30amp power cord was blackened slightly around the tine holes. It worked, but a fellow captain told me to replace it and make sure the Admiral was not using the hair dryer while the air conditioning was running. Over time that load will destroy your cord. So, when the hair dryer comes on, the AC goes off.

Lance Jones

<<< So, when the hair dryer comes on, the AC goes off.>>>
Or, as I did, add a second A/C panel.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Krawford

One other cause of arcing not mentioned is a loose connection between the shore power plug and the boat.  Make sure to give the plug a clockwise turn and completely tighten the threaded locking collar.  A loose connection will cause arcing.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B