Lost Dorade / seek replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Went out for a nice sail today and lo and behold... for the first time... The jib line decided to decapitate my Dorade vent cowling.  I Really had become fond of that stupid thing after the restoration work I did to it. (See my previous post regarding dorades)  And... OBTW... Those things do not float worth a S#!t.

I need to find a single replacement.  I'm not certain however if I were to order the Catalina Direct replacement of that will satisfy what I have lost.  If you notice my picture I have attached, You will notice that I have (had) a slip ring that attached the vent to the base.  Does anybody have any suggestions what I should do?  Aesthetically... Pau Hana looks a little "One Eyed" right now and I am anxious to correct her condition. 
:abd:

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

Kevin,
If you put mask and snorkle on you can find about three of those strung around the bottom of the south bay left by me.  I have taken to removing mine while sailing because replacing them has gotten expensive.  It's always been the port one, three times now.  Same thing, jib sheet.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Kevin : You need to contact Vetus (410)712-0740 (or go to Vetus online) and order a 4" Dorade cowl.  I think it is a "Tom".  It looks like yours is a screw on.  Don't know is you still have the screw on ring or not.

I replaced both of my plastic with stainless.  Hope this helps 
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Thanks Ron.  I think you're right that it is the Vetus "TOM" 4".  And yes... the slip ring went swimming as well.  :cry4`  I have previously thought about going stainless, but as Ralph has also indicated, it could become astronomically expensive. 
Along this same line of thought.... What's the consensus out there?  As Ralph has indicated, he simply removes his cowls to go sailing.  That thought occurred to me yesterday albeit too late.  I was also wondering.  Can a person simply turn the cowling around facing aft so as not to create the lip that the Jib sheet can catch on?  Or is it simply my sloppy sail handling (lack of) skills. 
Inquiring minds want to know. :?: :abd: 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Here's what I did:  http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2005.pdf

We keep ours turned outboard.  Two reasons:  keeps green water over the bow from going down an open one, and our slip has the wind coming sideways so provides good ventilation when we're not there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Les Luzar

Kevin,
You can certainly turn the dorade vents around when you go sailing if it is a concern of yours. That would seen a bit easier than removing them every time you go sailing. However, I do not think that the sheet line will knock one off that frequently. I have had my boat for 8 years, in Long Beach, where it blows 10 to 18 frequently,  and that has never happened to me and I go sailing almost every weekend.... (hope this is not my famous last words!).
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

lazybone

I have never had it happen but...
I put a screw with a length of thin stainless fishing leader braid internally that keeps them attached to the base.  They can get knocked off but they just dangle around till fixed. 

Sort of like the chain that holds the fuel/water fill deck fittings.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Quote from: lazybone on August 26, 2013, 10:17:57 AM
I put a screw with a length of thin stainless fishing leader braid internally that keeps them attached to the base.  They can get knocked off but they just dangle around till fixed. 

Actually a MUCH BETTER solution.  Those chains tend to fail, and we suggest that skippers remove the chains and place the deck fittings on the deck.  Beats losing one of those fittings, which may not be available anymore from CD.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,

happened to me last summer, while I was putting the sail cover after a nice sailling day.
I hit it with my feet as I turned around, and saw it going PLOUFFF.

As you mentioned, not cheap for one.

But I like the trick with a line attach to it.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Guys : I've never caught a sheet line on a dorade vent since I've owned the boat in 1989!!

When we tack, the person at the wheel makes sure the "lazy" sheet line slack is taken up so that that line clears the dink on deck or doesn't catch the Vberth hatch lip (which it can and will). 
Maybe that's why the my lazy sheet line doesn't whip around and knock off the dorade?!?

Another thought is that the lazy sheet line when slack, can and will whip against the side dodger window and leave marks on that Plexiglas.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

When it finally happens to me, I'm going with Nicro vents with the solar fan.  Low profile so won't get caught again.  May cost a bit more...but I don't think that much.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: lazybone on August 26, 2013, 10:17:57 AM

Hi Forum Participants,

You people are so quick.  Here is a problem I have fixed with the same approach.  You will note from the pictures that one of our POs (and there have been three of them) installed the Dorade mounting up side down.  This is not a problem, but I wonder why it was done.  After having lost one, I installed the stainless line.  Twice now they have been knocked off, but the line held and the Dorade was saved.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Kevin Henderson

I've got 2 Vetus 4" TOM2 replacement vent cowlings on their way to me right now.  (Thanks Ron)

I have been thinking of ways to McGyver some flotation but I really like the arrangement Bob just offered with a type of restraining line.  I think I'll try that.  

However... as it has been suggested I need to tune up my line handling with the Lazy Sheet.  :oops: and I think that for precaution, I'll turn the vents around while sailing.   :abd:
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Volk

Kevin,

Another option, which might be extreme, is adding stainless guards for the dorades.  Check my post from June of 2011, (search: 'dorade and traveler upgrade' and then hit 'upgrade' to see my post with pictures.  This was a post thanking you for your post talking about using Rustoleum plastic spray paint to restore the dorades.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

TonyP

Here it is

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6495.msg42378/topicseen.html#msg42378

Yes it's the way to go ...
I thought they would have been standard.
Already on our boat

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia