Lost Dorade / seek replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

Quote from: RobertSchuldenfrei on August 27, 2013, 01:51:44 PM
Quote from: lazybone on August 26, 2013, 10:17:57 AM
I have never had it happen but...
I put a screw with a length of thin stainless fishing leader braid internally that keeps them attached to the base.  They can get knocked off but they just dangle around till fixed. 

Sort of like the chain that holds the fuel/water fill deck fittings.

Hi Forum Participants,

You people are so quick.  Here is a problem I have fixed with the same approach.  You will note from the pictures that one of our POs (and there have been three of them) installed the Dorade mounting up side down.  This is not a problem, but I wonder why it was done.  After having lost one, I installed the stainless line.  Twice now they have been knocked off, but the line held and the Dorade was saved.

Cheers,

Bob

So we both came up with that idea independently and at the same time?

The only explanation is that we belonged to the same frat house and did the same drugs.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Kevin Henderson

Got my new cowl vents and thought I would share with everyone what I had gotten.  Going to the boat today to install.  I ordered the 4" TOM2.  It comes with the ring nut and more importantly, the mounting ring itself since I lost mine during the "decapitation"   :shock:   Two replacements direct from Vetus Marine for $180.00.  I'm either going to try the safety attachment methods used here in this post or simply face them backward while sailing.  Or more importantly, improve the way I handle the lazy sheet as Ron suggests.   :abd:

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

patrice

Hi,

Even if you decide to turn them when sailing, you might forget once, and ....
If I were you, i would put the little cable attach to it as a safety features, easy yo do, and you won't regret if an accident happen.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

BOB FLEEGE

Kevin, This may be to late to help but I saw some Dorados like yours at the Catalina Store at the Catalina Factory in Clearwater just recently.  Call Casey and she can sen you a picture ...I believe I saw two.  Bob Fleege

Indian Falls

my post for replacing the dorades and cowls  is

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6238.msg41189.html#msg41189

Air Only ventilators, I found them on ebay for 55 each 3 years ago, they are up to $89 (65 EU) on the air-onlyventilators.com web site.

Still avail. on ebay for 78 or m/o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COWL-BOAT-DORADE-DECK-VENTILATOR-WITH-BUILD-IN-AIR-ONLY-VENT-VENTS-MARINE-RED-/191011319235?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c79296dc3&vxp=mtr

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?