Keeping Transmission in Gear while not under power?

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

A friend told me that he kept the transmission in gear when he turned his motor off because he was told his 34 would sail better with motor in gear rather than in neutral.  Any thoughts?
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Fred Koehlmann

That's news to me, but maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years.
Every boat that we've had or that I've sailed on, always put the engine in neutral when sailing without the engine on. In may ways, when I turn the engine on again I don't want it to be accidentally in gear.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ron Hill

Chuck : If you sail with the transmission in neutral you'll have less drag from a turning prop, but added wear on the cutless bearing.  

Hurth stipulates NOT to leave the transmission in FWD while sailing.

You can leave the transmission in reverse while sailing like most of us do.  The racers however, leave theirs in neutral for that little bit more speed!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Volk

Chuck,

I had a 2 blade folding prop on my 30 and have a 3 blade folding on my 34.  I have always shifted into reverse to lock the shaft after turning the engine off.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Kevin Henderson

WOW!! I thought the correct thing to do was to put the transmission into neutral.  I've been doing that all along.  If however, the better alternative is to put the transmission into reverse as in what Ron says.  That's' what I'll be doing from now on.  I'm not that big into racing.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jim Hardesty

I like neutral.  After a long day of sailing, I may forget to go to neutral to start the engine.  I know some transmissions are to be set in reverse while sailing or extra wear may happen.  I have a feathering prop, transmission in reverse for a while to set the prop, then into neutral.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Andrew Harvey

The new ( finally) Beta manual states that the transmission must be put in reverse for sailing to avoid excessive wear.
Andrew Harvey

patrice

Hi,

Best to check YOUR manual.
Some manufacturer will mention to put in reverse, and some to leave in neutral.
Better to go with the recommendation of manufacturer.

In my manual it mention to leave in neutral.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys : On our web site (WiKi) I posted the big Red tag that Hurth sent with their transmission!!

It says the same thing as in you M25XP Owners Manual!  Take time to read it!!

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Chuck.Philips on August 25, 2013, 04:12:56 PM
A friend told me that he kept the transmission in gear...

There are two gears.  Which one?

Here's what Ron keeps reminding skippers about:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=The_Right_Transmission_Gear_for_Sailing
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

Crap,
I've been in sailing in forward all summer thinking I'm doing the right thing by not being in neutral.

Stu Jackson

If you ever sell your boat, please take a moment to copy my previous link and leave it on the boat for the next skipper!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Chuck.Philips

Thanks for the input everyone.  On my sail to Catalina next week, I will certainly put the transmission in reverse.

Chuck
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Kevin Henderson

Sometimes I feel like such a NOOB around here... :roll:
But I always seem to come away a bit more knowledgeable   8)

That being said I  guess one could surmise the following:

While under sail and the engine not running:

NEVER leave the transmission in FORWARD gear.

leaving the transmission in NEUTRAL is not exactly wrong but could be a cause of un-needed wear on the cutlass bearing.

Leaving the transmission in REVERSE is the most preferred option.

My education continues   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau