Keeping Transmission in Gear while not under power?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Kevin, and other "new" skippers",

We developed a sticky topic called "Quick Start - Too Much Information on this website"  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5260.0.html

In that text we noted that there IS a LOT of stuff!!!  We also included:

"I estimate it might take maybe a total of all of four hours of your time to read the Table of Contents for the FAQ Page , Projects Page, download and read the Knowledgebase, OR read the Tech wiki contents pages (just click on "C34 Tech wiki" at the top of each page of this Message Board).  It'd be a great start for each of you."

I know you all have "real lives", but urge you to take a few minutes to read that link, and simply read the "Headlines" from those important links so that you can help yourselves maintain your boats.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Kenin : It's not a Better and Best situation between locked in reverse and leaving the transmission in nuteral!   It's Your choice.

It is an aw-#### if you leave the transmission in forward while sailing or being towed!!
Ron, Apache #788

captran

I've always left it in reverse but thought it was more the transmission bearing issue rather than the cutlass.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ron Hill

Randy : I'm not a transmission Guru, but I believe that the transmission in FWD while the boat is moving forward (engine off) has to do with slippage/wear on "clutch" plates.
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: captran on August 27, 2013, 11:01:05 AM
I've always left it in reverse but thought it was more the transmission bearing issue rather than the cutlass.

It doesn't blinking matter.

Put it in reverse all the time, or lock your shaft like Ray Irvine does for racing.

C'mon, skippers, this is not rocket science.

My read (for the past 15 years, and since this issue was first posted over 10 years ago in the old FAQs - now the C34 Tech wiki under engines) is that when it is not in reverse, it makes noise.  So I stop the noise by putting it reverse.  From everything that's been available to read about this issue, it's better for the transmission.  

Nothing has changed about that for the past 26 years.

Your boat, your choice.  

Easy..... :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

stevewitt1

FREE WILL!

It allows us to decide how we want to do it
Foward----------> NO NO
Neutral----------> adds noise, extra parts movement that most likely results in additional wear
Reverse---------> Cost us that fraction of a knot in speed and performance.

My Allmand had a new M4-30/trans upgrade right before I bought it.  Manual stated "lock in reverse" while under sail. 

If I was vain enough to believe and state that the loss of speed could be indentified while I'm sailing my boat with my transmission locked in reverse I would also be a liar.  I'm just not that good. The rest of you may just be that much better of a sailer than me.

I have, and will continue to lock my trans in reverse while under sail.

Steve

"Forget-Me-Knot" 34' Hull 854

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with most comments and Stu - anything changed in the last 26 years!??!

What a stupid thread this has been!!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

It's NOT stupid.

It might be repetitious,  but I'm sure glad skippers are still asking.

Thanks to your posting, Ron, we can ALWAYS link to it.

mregan

I second the "Not Stupid" vote.  I just learned I've been doing it wrong all summer.  Always thought in gear, forward or reverse, was better than neutral.  Now I know forward is a no-no.

Ron Hill

Sorry Guys : I guess this thread is not so stupid when you consider that Many new owners of a C34 tend not to read their owners manual!!

Nor do they heed Catalina's placard (just below the engine instrument panel on a MK I) that says :
"To read the owner manual before operating this vessel".
(Guess the previous owner must have removed that common sense placard)

Some time the truth hurts.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

If we stopped talking or repeating stuff that we have already gone over, this place would be church quiet.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

patrice

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 31, 2013, 01:45:30 PM
Sorry Guys : I guess this thread is not so stupid when you consider that Many new owners of a C34 tend not to read their owners manual!!

Nor do they heed Catalina's placard (just below the engine instrument panel on a MK I) that says :
"To read the owner manual before operating this vessel".
(Guess the previous owner must have removed that common sense placard)

Some time the truth hurts.  A thought

Hi,

Actualy I did read it when got our boat.  Nicely found on this site.   :thumb:   
But it also mentioned that it is not a must to lock the shaft when sailing, so I always left it in neutral.
If it is a better practice to lock it, then here is a nice place to talk about it.   :D
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Clay Greene

Obvious point perhaps, but all of this assumes that you have a fixed prop.  If you have a folding or feathering prop, you have to put the transmission into reverse, at least initially, in order to close/rotate the blades.  Once the blades close/rotate, you could then shift back to neutral if you were worried about starting in reverse by accident (been there, done that, don't want to do it again) and there should be little concern about cutlass bearing wear given that the prop won't rotate (or won't rotate very much) with the water flow. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Clay, I agree.  However, I have "made the mistake of starting gear" and it starts and I wonder why I'm not going where I thought I should.

Hasn't broken anything.

Yet.

Once or twice in 15 years.

Kinda like the "going aground" thingy... :abd:

Indian Falls

I have found conflicting information about the transmission.
In one place it says leave the trans in reverse,  in another it says leave the trans in neutral.

When on the hard if you put your trans in forward or reverse you cannot turn the prop, and the water running at 6 knots is not going to turn the prop either.  So I fail to see why damage would occur in either gear.

As for running in neutral there is no stress on the cutless bearing like there is when running in gear at 2000 rpm engine/1000 rpm prop.( the gear reduction is 2:1)

You'd be lucky to get 200 rpm with the prop free wheeling, and if you think you never need to replace the cutless then you have a lot to learn.  It's irrelevant that the prop free wheels in the "wear on the cutless bearing" department.

In my opinion it is very likely it does not matter what you do with the shifter while sailing, with one exception... don't start the engine with the trans in gear.  Hurth put out recommendations and Universal is contrary... but neither explain the basis of their claim.

I free wheel in neutral while sailing....  it's not a big deal to change a cutless every 5 years, you should anyway,  and the oil in the trans is thrown around while rotating, as far as I know. 

But that's just me.

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?