Balmar Dual Output Alternator

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Maine Sail / Ron Hill,
I copied Maine Sails response to my earlier post regarding Voltage Regulator, below.  Ron you said you have the same alternator as mine.  Can either of you explain how to buss the two output terminals together to make it a single output.  Can I simply tie to two positive output posts together?  Or is their more to it than that?  Here is Maine Sails response to my earlier post.  Thanks.
Mike.....

mainesail
Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class

[Smile]
Boat Name / Hull Number: Cupecoy - CS-36T
Model Year: 1979
Home Port: Broad Cove, Maine

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Testing Balmar ARS-4 Voltage Regulator?
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Mike,

I would urge you to go with an ARS-5 or MC-614. They are far better regulators than the Transpo. The Transpo is also just a very, very basic single stage regulator.

I would also urge anyone with an older dual output alt to buss them together and use them as a single output alternator. There are far too many cases of cooked banks due to dual output alts. There is a reason Balmar no longer offers them and that is because when you have one regulator and two outputs it makes proper voltage sensing nearly impossible. They are very easy to jumper to create a single output...
   Report to moderator   Logged
-Maine Sail

Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T
Maine Sail's Photo Galleries
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mike : Contact Balmar, because your duel output came with a bridge that will easily turn it into a single output model.  They may still a bridge in stock?

However, I like my duel output and will leave it as it has been for the past 23? years. 

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

mainesail

Ron,

Where are you sensing voltage and how is it wired? I have seen more cases than I would like of chronic over or undercharging issues with these old Lestek / Balmar dual output alts and it all comes down to a voltage sensing issues.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/