Fuel issue

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Is the stop handle down and is the lever on the engine in the correct place?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Stu,
Stop handle is in the correct position
By engine lever you mean in neutral, yes.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

No, what I meant, sorry should have been clearer, is the engine end of the stop lever, forward port side upper of the engine block.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Lance : What Stu meant - is the nut on the cutoff lever cable on the starboard front of the engine secure.  Is the lever in the full forward position?

Even though the screen on the fuel pickup was clean I hope you removed it!!

I'm also at a loss.  Guessing, that you got a slug of water into the injection pump and injectors??

Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks Ron,
I figured California had a different port and starboard then the rest of us :D. All is correct. If slug of water taken, recommendations?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : Here's what I'd try after re-bleeding the system for a couple of minutes:

Back off the nuts (1 or 2 turns" that hold the tubes from the injection pump to the individual injectors.  Wrap some absorbent material around the injector top and turn the engine over for 10-20 seconds.  The fuel & water should squirt out the loosened nut, to clear the injector.

Do that to each injector and hopefully all water will then be flushed from the fuel system.  Good Luck
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Ron, sorry, is is starboard.  Doh!

Jim Hardesty

Lance,
A shot at long distance trouble shooting.  You did a lot of work close to the engine throtle and engine stop controls.  Check that they are still as they should be.  That's my shot.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Lance Jones

Thanks Jim,
I already did that when Stu suggested that earlier.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ed Shankle

Sounds like water in the fuel initially stopped the engine. I assume when you did Ron's bleed and catch in bucket suggestion there was no more sign of water from the return hose. So, if fuel appears to be moving, and is all fuel, next up would be glow plugs? Have you confirmed that the glow plugs are getting hot?
Good luck,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

RV61

Per Ed's comment. Check you glow plugs I just had a start issue and mechanic pulled glow plugs and they did check out however after he put them back in she has started each and every time and hence we believe there was a loose connection. If that does not work next step is to have injectors checked. My step by step no start when engine will crank plan is as follows and you have done most.
I only do one step at a time and try engine so thus can determine what the issue was.
1. Check engine stop lever both up top  and at engine.
2. Bleed and check for air.
3. Check fuel flow at injectors. If no fuel or low fuel check and replace fuel separator filter and primary fuel filter . Also check mystery fuel filter screen inside electronic fuel pump. do one filter at a time.

4 Check glow plug connections.
5. Have injectors tested. 

Good luck keep us posted.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Lance Jones

Thanks Ed & Rick.
H2O still is showing up at primary;but, not much anymore. None in the return. Have not checked glow plugs. Urr...uhhhh... how do I do that?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : When you engage the glow plugs you should see about a 2 volt drop on your volt meter.  If they were on for 20-30 seconds you should be able to feel the plug itself and feel it warm.  Careful because those plugs get very HOT!!

From the age of your boat I'd just go down to your local Kubota dealer and buy a new set about $12? each.

When you finally get that critter running, I'd make the glow plug modification (see critical updates) if you already haven't done it.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ok all,
Thanks for the support so far. However, Kitty's Cat is not yet starting.
I bled the injectors as per Ron would not start.
However, I did check glow plugs when button depressed. They had a 2v drop. Great! When I felt them after holding down for about 60 sec. only the back one was slightly warm. Searched for GP removal but I didn't find anything about removal and replace proceedure. Any directions or links?

Thanks!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance :  Remove the gang wire from the 3 plugs.  Then remove a glow plug by using a deep well socket just like replacing spark plug. 
Don't know the exact torque setting on replacing, but just make them snug - don't over tighten.  Also make sure the seat is clean before inserting a new plug.
Ron, Apache #788