Bridge vertical clearance: 50 feet...too risky?

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan

Guys,

the bridge at Choptank River in Maryland limits traffic to 50 feet vertical clearance. The head of the mast of the Catalina 34 (standard rigging) has a distance from the W/L of 49.7 feet. Has anybody gone below this bridge? or any bridge with a limit of 50 feet? Is it safe? too risky?

Thanks for your inputs

Juan

tommyt

I do not think that the 49'7" includes VHF antennae or anything else above the masthead. In addition I have a picture in my head of a large powerboat wake lifting the boat one or two foot while under the bridge. It will be interesting to get the perspective of someone that actually goes under.

Good Luck!
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Juan : I hate to tell you that the 49'7" is the length of the mast spar (standard rig) itself setting in the keel step.
I have always used 52' to insure that the mast will clear with the wind instrument, windex and VHF antenna installed.

You can give it a try, but make sure it's low tide!! BTW, what's so interesting above Cambridge that you want to take the big boat (beside s a very expensive marina)?

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

No problem.  Just do like this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiv0fxFcV3I
And take video.
Realy be careful and lucky.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

lazybone

Its been a long time so my memory might be faulty but I seem to remember a "story board" mounted on the starboard side that marks the exact clearances.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Juan

thanks guys, yes, it looks too risky...

Jim, I might try it one day...I am affraid, however, that the while the boat might pass, I will have a heart attack in the process...
Amazing video, thanks!

Juan

Ed Shankle

If the 50' clearance is data from a chart, then that is normally labelled the clearance at high water. Depending on the tidal difference in that area, you can pick up the few feet you need. Of course that won't help with the wake lift issue!

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA