Refrigeration

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

My 20+ year old refer is dying.  Anybody got a recommendation for a good replacement and best place to purchase.  I've heard good things about Sea Frost.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : Not to belittle your question, but isn't 23 years of service good enough to replace it with the same brand?  The plumbing etc. would be all the same.

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

I wish it was that easy.  Company got out the the business in the mid 90's.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

karista

Ken
My 20+ year old Adler Barbour, stopped working last year. I assume yours most likely is also a Adler Barbour as these were installed by Catalina. Using Ron's reasoning, I installed a new Adler Barbour system, found the best price at Defenders.
Using the same system greatly simplified the installation, and if this new unit lasts as long as the original, then I won't be sailing anymore! The new model, I believe is more efficient than my original R12 Model and has the new quick connect fittings.  :D
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Roland Gendreau

Gratitude came equipped with an inoperative/unrepairable AB system.  I replaced it with a Sea Frost system.

The original AB compressor had been installed in the starboard lazarette adjacent to the walk thru transom and years of exposure to seawater from fenders being dropped on top of it had caused the system to corrode.  I did not want that to happen again and also didn't want to relocate the system either.  The Sea Frost system has a very nice enclosure that shields it from anything that might drip off the fenders.

Sea Frost customized the plate to fit the ice box dimensions for a very small charge.  Running the tubing and wiring to the ice box was simple.  The plate is held in place with some standoffs - I used some longer standoffs to provide more air circulation on both sides of the plate. I also use a small battery operatied fridge fan to minimize the temperature difference from the top to bottom of the ice box. 

The system works well but my admiral would have liked the unit to have a freezer compartment , which the Sea Frost plate does not offer. It does offer verticle ice trays which work fine for me.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Stu Jackson

Ken, I don't think you can go wrong with a Sea Frost.  Here's Maine Sail's testimonial.  While his "issue" is a tad different than yours, I'm sure Sea Frost makes a simple 12V system that would work for you.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=944256&highlight=Sea%20Frost

Yup, they do!  :clap

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=725235&highlight=Sea%20Frost
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

I installed an Engel refrigeration unit this past spring.  So far it's worked well but I don't have any previous experience with refrig units so I might not be the best judge.  Keeps the box down to 40* on the #2 setting.  Supposedly if I keep it on 3-5 it will turn the whole ice box into a freezer.  The system was about 2/3 cost of a comparable AB system.

Stu Jackson

mr, what model Engel did you purchase?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

mregan

It's called the ice box conversion kit.  Only problem was the lineset was only 12' so you are limited as to where you can put the condenser section.

https://www.engel-usa.com/products/fridge-freezers/ice-box-conversion-models

patrice

HI,
Might not be the best place, but the PO placed it under the stove.
I know, it take a nice storage space, but Hey! it was there  ;-)
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Steve W10

Ken, you guys south of the 49th have a much better selection but when I did mine a few years ago, all initial estimates including shipping put me over $900 plus some great Canadian taxes.

I ended up with a Canadian product, Nova Kool, with of course uses the standard Danfoss compressor.   Because I did a huge purchase of electrical stuff at the same time, The Rigging Shoppe gave me a deal, $855 plus tax.

I moved the compressor location to midships behind the rudder post (image).  Just made another shelf (image) and bolted it under the lip around the aft water tank.  I wanted it in a well-ventilated area for efficient cooling.
The new set-up required 17 feet of copper lines vice the normal 12'.  No extra charge, but I just had to wait 3 weeks to get it.  One retailer wanted to charge me an extra $50, even though Nova Kool wasn't charging him any extra... Bas..ard!  Not a big deal to get longer lines, just ask around.

I installed the evaporator box forward in the icebox (there really is no great way of doing it in such a small space, but this is working out pretty well) (image).  The lid comes hinged, but I just pulled out the pins and lift it on and off; no problems.

This is a DC only unit, which is fine by me; alongside my Xantrex is doing it's thing anyway.

Guys at my Club had some problems with other manufacturers and distributors, but mine could not have worked out better.

Steve

Lance Jones

Ken,
Don't hesitate to call Catalina Yachts. When mine died after we purchased the boat. I called them up and I got a replacement at an unbelievable price. Has something to do with the number they purchase plus, customer loyalty.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Bob K

Ken,
I replaced my similarly aged AB with a new AB this past spring.
Am very happy with it. Read my earlier post.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

Hawk

I thought I had some refrig issues this summer up north. I had a commercial guy down to the boat and turns out it likely overheated. He did say that if it starts acting up there may be a leak of the old R12. He claimed to have source for R12 up here if the leak could be located and repaired. Fortunately I don't have that problem, at least not yet.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35