Deck or keel stepped masts

Previous topic - Next topic

triton_29

Hi,
I have been looking for a new boat for a few years now and finally found the Catalina 34. She seems to fit my needs and my budget. I haven't had the chance to sail one yet but I am hoping I can find one in San Diego to crew on sometime soon.

I have looked at a 86 and a 91. I was surprised to find the 91 has keep stepped and the 86 was desk stepped. I would like to get a keel stepped boat with a closed transom. I have done a trip to Hawaii and now it's in my blood. I would like to do some more trips to Hawaii in a C-34. I am also a live-a-board. I have a 28 footer now and am eager to move up.

Does anyone know what year they went to keel stepped masts and what years had closed transoms?

Any other advice on what to look for in a C-34 would be great.

Thanks
Todd

captran

I am certainly not an expert, but am moderately well read.  Have made 9 round trip gulf stream crossings, 2 on my deck stepped C 34. One aborted Hawaii trip from Seattle on a westsail 32. If you are seriously looking at the Catalina for offshore to Hawaii trips I would think the keel stepped mast would be more appropriate.  You could also read the Practical Sailor review of the C 34.  I consider the C 34 a coastal cruiser.  I know people are "out there" on all kinds of boats, but if I were headed offshore, I'd want a boat designed for the task, and from everything I've read, the C 34 was not designed or built for such. I would re rig, perhaps go through the boat with an offshore surveyor who may make recommendations to strengthen some components. My 97 is a 30 hp, as it is the A model.  The B model is 35 hp.  both are listed as a "M 35".  With a 25 gallon tank Hawaii is a long way off.  I'll be interested in others views.

Stu Jackson

Todd

A while ago we asked the question about keel and deck stepped masts.  The answer is:

http://c34.infopop.net/3/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=508296417&f=318296417&m=4652941382

If you use the message board search with stepped, you'll find other posts that resulted in this one.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SailDan

Todd,
There is a article in the November/December 2002 issue (#27.)pp. 45-48 of "Good Old Boat" by Cheryl & Jerry Fitzgerld concerning conversion of their 1989 C-36 (White Dove)for off-shore sailing.  They left California in 1998 sailing to Mexico then on to the South Pacific to eventually circumnavigate the globe and returned to Florida in 2001. Its only a short article but it might give you some ideas. You can checkout Good Old Boat at http://www.goodoldboat.com
Good Luck... sounds like a great adventure
Dan
"Weal Sea", #12