Re-Organizing Running Rigging - MK1

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

Stu,

When racing I found the aft led jib halyard to be quite handy, when running downwind easing the halyard to bag the jib and when going hard to weather cranking it down to help flatten the jib. I still fool around with from time to time when I'm out on the water. Also I do a lot of single sailing and like being able to do as much from the cockpit as possible.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Adjusting halyard tension on a roller furler for sail shape is an "interesting" approach. I am finally heeding Stu's suggestion (from long ago to me) to move my furling jib halyard to the mast, thus freeing up a clutch for reefing. For me a better use of my hardware.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Here's one of a few posts of mine on the subject Noah mentioned:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6425.msg41780.html#msg41780

I found it by using the separate search between Help and Admin on the top row, not the search box, using "pendant" and my name.  There are a few of them.  One of them has pictures.  Like this one:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9331.msg69426.html#msg69426

and this one:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9430.msg70471.html#msg70471

When I was racing I didn't do what you describe, most likely because our winds on SF Bay were usually heavy with no need to "bag" the jib when sailing.

Remains --- Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Whenever I see parenthesis in a response to a post it somehow feels like there's a certain air of condescension. Noah, I'm glad you found my approach "interesting" but it does make the boat go faster, when your racing a cruising boat a little creativity goes a long way. Stu, it's a light air trick which is maybe why you, sailing in SF bay have no experience with it, sometimes light air requires a little bit of imagination, I've actually had two crew on the fore deck with brooms holding the jib out to catch every occasional puff, we actually went swimming during that race and still managed a 2nd place finish.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on October 20, 2017, 08:57:57 AM
   >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Stu, it's a light air trick which is maybe why you, sailing in SF bay have no experience with it, sometimes light air requires a little bit of imagination, I've actually had two crew on the fore deck with brooms holding the jib out to catch every occasional puff, we actually went swimming during that race and still managed a 2nd place finish.

That's what I said:

Quote...most likely because our winds on SF Bay were usually heavy with no need to "bag" the jib when sailing.

In fact, what you did with your brooms is expressly "outlawed" in the C34 Fleet 1 racing rules, regardless of TW speed, and we got lots of light air sailing during our winter series.  No condescension implied.  :shock: :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

So is getting on and off the boat DURING a race...but I'm sure it was fun!😎
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Ben : Look in the Mainsheet tech notes.  I wrote an article on your question (w/pictures)
after I installed a rigid vang. 
I also wrote an article where I installed a turning block with less of an angle of 90 degrees to ease the pull on the main halyard.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788