Edson Engine Control levers

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Jeff, I am going up to the boat tomorrow to install my new levers, what did you mean, "you picked up a small extension", did you mean you straightened it a little bit?  hopefully mine will go on with no problems also, thank you Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : I agree with you, that Jeff's "adding a small extension"-- make no sense ??
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

C'mon.

What Jeff explained was easy.

He MOVED the handle to closer to midships and it missed the binnacle  s/s.

Not so hard to envision.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Tancock

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to confuse you. I put a small (1" or so) fitting on that moved the gear shifter outward so that it cleared the binnacle. It's a perfect match so not noticeable without looking closely. I hope you don't need to worry about it on your boat.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Tancock

I'd be happy to take a pic next time I'm at the boat.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ron Hill

Guess I was a bit dense!! 

Now I understand, what Jeff did was to put an extension on the shifter SHAFT so it extends further out and then the shifter lever goes OUTSIDE the vertical pedestal guard when it is in FWD.

Good idea Jeff  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Check you compass.  The new metal could be magnetic?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

2ndwish

Excellent point. In fact I checked the handles and they are ever so slightly magnetic. It did register when I put it right up against the iPhone magnetometer, but they are far enough from the binnacle compass to have no discernible effect when installed.

kwaltersmi

I ordered these last week and installed them on Saturday.  Easy install and they fit and function perfectly.  Thanks for the heads-up on the great price.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

stevenbanks

I installed new engine control levers on my 1991 C34 last year and after fussing with the different adjustments trying to get them to not hit the SS guard rail I came up with a very easy and effective solution to this problem.

The fitting that holds both cable ends inside the pedestal, attaches to the pedestal through a small hole, I'm guessing 1/4 inch, on the wheel side of the pedestal.  I drilled an identical hole about an inch lower and moved the whole fitting down to the new hole.  This effectively moved both levers aft an inch and they have both worked perfectly since. 

This took about half the time it took me to adjust the transmission cable end and it actually worked.