Marine Electrical Wire

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Where can I get marine wire in multiple colors and gauges?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance, doesn't West Marine come to mind immediately?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

I like genuinedealz.com, good prices and very good quality. Also an excellent source for connectors, particularly heat-shrink.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Steve W10

I`m with Clay, Genuine was awesome for me.

Great website - you can order all the terminal ends, have things heat-shrunk in multiple colours - and I think great prices too (at least for this Canuck).

I made my own crimper tool that fits in my vice for 4, 6, and 8 gauge, but for all the #2 wire I had them do it.

Lance Jones

Stu, I try to avoid WM as much as possible.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Wow! Genuine is a great site AND in Georgia!!!!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Lance Jones on September 11, 2013, 10:33:03 PM
Stu, I try to avoid WM as much as possible.

Lance, I do, too.  But for some small amount of stuff, they're handy and expedient.  2 feet of one inch hose ain't worth "internetting" it.  You also didn't say how much wire you need.  Some wire comes in rolls making it much cheaper than by the foot pricing and unless you need oodles of wire, by the time you're done with shipping (for those of us not living in Georgia), you have to do the comps.  Good luck, glad you found genuinedeals, I thought everybody knew about them already.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : If you are doing a lot of wiring, I'd shop around as the West Marine wire is a bit pricy!! 

Look on line and in the Defender catalog for much better prices.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

I like Defender and Hamilton Marine too.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Solstice

+1 for Genuinedealz.

Just finished a major rewiring project (on a new boat  :shock:). In addition to pricing (and free shipping), they offer a better quality product. Learned from Maine Sail that Ancor isn't the best choice and why the usual places like WM, Defender and even Hamilton only stock it. When I saw the difference in the quality of battery lugs for example, it was simply incredible. Places like GD stock wiring from Berkshire and a couple of other sources that Maine Sail maintains is superior to Ancor.
Take a quick look at MS's 'How To' for wiring and making battery terminal articles on the difference in quality wiring on his Compass Marine website.

As an anecdote, I had ordered some fire retardant loom for my Alt wiring connections and there was some confusion on diameter. I got a call on a Saturday morning to make sure it was correct and an offer to send me what I needed at no charge! A big fan.
If you don't need something in an hour (WM's primary value), it's worth talking with them (a real human who knows marine wiring)....

Good luck...

mregan

I agree with the others, Genuinedealz.

Ron Hill

Mre : I used Genuinedealz when I install my windless.  They also have the best prices on heat shrink - 75% less than West marine!!
Ron, Apache #788