Installing Anchor Windlas

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

Getting ready to install an anchor windlas on the boat, an 87 MkI.  The question I have  is how much space, if any, is there between the aft bulkhead of the anchor locker and the wood panel in the V berth?  I have not removed that wood panel yet but I think there is another fiber glass panel under that. The cabin liner maybe.  I have looked the photos posted of how others have done it and they all look VERY nice with the stailless backing plate  against the wood panel.  I am going to do the same, and have made up the same type of backing plate, but if there is space to put it hidden then that is the route I'd like to take (higher authority directive).  BTW I am installing a Lewmar V-700.

Thank you,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : When I did mine there was no open space between the teak covered panel, the plywood panel and the thin fiberglass of the anchor well "pan".
I had a friend that has a 1989 C34 who had about an inch space!

You aren't going to know the answer to your question until you pull the wood panels on YOUR boat.

my thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Thank you Ron, I knew it was a long shot asking but I had to ask.  I'll keep the group posted on progress

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

TonyP

On ours There is less space at the top. The right one will fit in but placement is the key.
I have attached our anchor winch as viewed without front bulkhead. I am not sure if your well is the same.
This installation was by a PO. Though last year we had it overhauled. I would love to add a down switch.
There should be a pic in an earlier post of inside our well from above.
Good luck
Tony

Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Ron Hill

Guys : Remember that the anchor wells' of the 1986/1987/1988s (about 900 hulls) is completely different than the 1989s and subsequent C34s !!!
Ron, Apache #788

TonyP

Ron

Thanx for that. I would not have known.

cheers

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

2ndwish

Ralph- If you are trying to hide the backing plate, you can remove the decorative bulkhead, route out as much as you need and put the backing plate on the structural plywood bulkhead right behind the locker. The decorative bulkhead is pretty thick. There are plusses and minuses to both approaches. I like the exposed nuts so that I can tell if it starts to leak. On the other hand, that decorative bulkhead was not intended to be structural, as a result, in our boat we noticed that it will creak since the installation, presumably where it is rubbing against the hull liner. What to they say...your boat your call

Bobg

Ralph, I too am investigating installing a winch,  where did you purchase your lewmar v-700?  Also does anyone know how far down in the anchor locker should the mounting plate be installed so you can close the doors.  I guess I should purchase the winch and see but I want to make the bracket mount ahead of time.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : If you'll take some time to read my installation of a V700 in the anchor well of a 1988 C34 you'll find a bunch of answers.

Look in WiKi /Mainsheet tech notes or Projects on our web site.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

I googled the V-700 and shopped around on the net and found one price at 573, so I bought it.  I also bought the heavy duty reversing solinoid and a hand held remote vice the foot switches.  I'll have to look back in my bank records and come up with the name of the place I bought it through.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Guys : Another thing to point out on the anchor well differences is the 1989 and subsequent production years, is that those later C34s anchor wells are made for a 90degree windless.  

The earlier C34 are better suited for a vertical windless installation.  

As I point out in my Mainsheet tech article, the vertical windless gipsy grabs about 300 degrees of chain as compared to the 90 degree windlass only grabbing 90 degrees of chain - at best!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Kirk Garner

I won't say I bought an '88 C34 because that's what Ron owns but I can say after the fact that I'm mighty glad I did. 'A few thoughts' at a time has ended up being a ton of very good, useful and reliable information that has saved me a lot of money and sleepless nights over the last few years. Thanks Ron, Stu and many others for sharing your knowledge and valuable experience with the rest of us!
Kirk Garner

Kirk Garner

Forgot to mention that this is a project I have moved up on my list to take care of this Winter!

Thanks again!

Kirk
Kirk Garner

Hawk

I am looking to upgrade my windlass so that I can raise and lower it remotely. The existing one is a challenge and I can't really let anyone else handle it safely.

Has anyone out there installed a new windlass on a 1990 era boat. I note the comment by Ron about the different anchor wells.
I'm looking for one that might fit with a minimum of hassle. I have 200 ft of chain.

Thanks
Hawk

Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

Tom : Beside the boat year you forgot to mention the size of your chain (necessary to get the correct gipsy) !!!

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788